Monday, April 7, 2014

WINDY WHINING

I decide to sit outside today, taking a much needed break from writing.  The sun is shining and the air feels warm when I first step outside to check the weather for myself.  I don't believe the reports anymore.  I only believe what I can see and feel.

Since I have been writing for hours, I am still in flannel pajama pants, a sweatshirt, and bare feet.  Even the stone steps feel good to me.  I run back in the house, mix a quick frozen margarita, grab a magazine, and head back out. 

I'm not missing out today!

I am sitting for possibly two minutes when the wind kicks up.  It's in my face and messing up the magazine pages.  I turn around the other way so the wind is at my back.  This lasts about another minute before I decide I'm too cold for just a sweatshirt, but not cold enough for socks or shoes.

I run back into the house and grab a fleece jacket.  Outside I go for the third time.

Now sitting on the stoop with my back to the wind, I settle in once again to read my magazine and drink my drink.  I am perfectly happy.  For about thirty seconds.

Suddenly a wind gust comes along and threatens to topple my margarita.

That's it, damnit!  That's it!

You can screw with my body heat, and you can screw with my reading materials, but when you screw with Jose Cuervo, you've gone too far!

I know and understand my limitations.  I pack it up and head back in the house after less than five minutes in the sun. I'll try it again when Spring arrives for real.  IF Spring arrives for real.