Thursday, April 3, 2014

HOW DO YOU KNOW ...?

How do you know when you've been in the regional lacrosse scene too long?

I have been involved with the sport of boys youth lacrosse almost since the moment it came to town.  Both of my boys played the sport through youth/elementary level, middle school level, high school level, college level, and even beyond. 

So how do I know when I've been on the regional lacrosse scene too long?  When I run into a ref I've known for years who is now the head of all area college lacrosse referees, and he greets me with ...

REF:  Hey, it's so nice to see you again!  (hug hug hug)  Please don't make me throw you out tonight.

(Chit chat chit chat...)

REF:  What do you mean your son is only a junior?  (Frowns seriously)  Seems like you've been in this sport forever.

I will say this about that -- Fairest lacrosse reffing we've seen in years at the game.

Sometimes it pays to over-extend your welcome.  Yes, I am that vocal about bad calls ... hence the threat of being tossed from a game ... again ... before the first whistle even blows. 

But I'm also the former assistant coach/volunteer who had a ref once ask, "Hey, who's the mom who thinks she knows the rules over here? ...(That would be ME) ... Ummmmm, you're absolutely correct."

PS.  I did not get thrown out of the game Wednesday night.  I know, I know.  Try not to appear shocked.