Wednesday, April 30, 2014

MOTHER NATURE AND SMALL FAVORS

Well, well, well.  Perhaps Mother Nature and I are reaching an impasse after all.

Tuesday night is the NCAA Division II play-off lacrosse game between Bentley and Southern New Hampshire University.  The weather people have predicted rain, and, indeed, it is drizzling off and on on my way down to Waltham for the game.

Imagine my surprise when the sun tries to pop out, though it doesn't quite make it.  I find my way to the parking area that will be nearest to the field and my son's school's bus, grab my umbrella, a fleece blanket, and head to the field.  I mean, it's supposed to rain, right?

It's a little windy, not too bad, but it's cold.  Not frigid freeze-my-ass off cold, but definitely cold enough for jacket, hats, gloves, and little heater thingees that stick onto my socks.  But no rain.  Hallelujah, no rain!

Amazingly enough, it stays that way through the whole game and even after.  My drive home through the highway construction and down route 125 (where the speed limit is 50 but I go 60+ near the State Police barracks), is clear sailing from a weather standpoint.

The cold, I can live with.  The heat is tolerable, too.  But when it's frick-ass bone-chilling cold and it's freezing rain?  That just blows.  Glad that only happens once or twice this season, and really glad it doesn't happen Tuesday night.

Thanks, Mother Nature, for either coming around to my way of thinking, or to simply giving up on me and moving on to better things ... like the snow you dumped in Northern New England the other day/  Those people must've really pissed you off, Mother Nature, at least more than I have.

And now that we're friends again, Mother Nature, maybe add just a little more heat in the temperature.  No need to go nuts!  Just a teeny bit. Please?  My blog says nice things about you, after all...