Saturday, April 12, 2014

HOW TO SOLVE A PROBLEM ... NOT

How Not to Solve a Problem:

My classroom is one of several that have been swallowed up into the construction of a new school.  My windows have been boarded up for weeks.  Even with the heat off in the dead of winter, the room temperature stays up around 75-80.

It is supposed to be very warm on Monday, so someone in authority (I hesitate to point any fingers because first of all, everyone wants to take credit for "helping us out" and secondly, I'm not sure which finger I'll be pointing) brought us all fans.

I already have two of my own fans in the room, fans that I brought from home, my personal property.  But, okay, I'll take another one.  Why not, right?

Well, I'll tell you WHY NOT.

I don't have any more working plugs in my room.  I have one plug that has the carbon monoxide detector in it.  The other plug holds everything else in the room:  desktop computer, printer, DVD/VCR, speakers, Smartboard, microwave, electric hole punch, laptop computer, the boombox for playing audio CDs that go with our text book, and my two fans.

I do have two other plugs.  One is in the doorway wall, so I'm not allowed to use it.  Students will trip; it's a fire hazard; it breaches the hall space.  The other is hanging half-in and half-out of the wall, exposing its electric guts for all to see. 

Want to know how I am told to cover the live wires hanging out of the wall to make sure no one plugs anything into the outlet?  With a piece of paper.  yup, paper and live electricity, like someone wants to blame me when the old and new schools catch fire and burn to the ground.  A piece of paper, taped over a live and dangerous electrical socket.

I'm no Einstein, but this seems like a bad idea to me.  It's almost as bad an idea as having eleven or more appliances plugged into the same outlet.

Hmmmmm, maybe that electrical fire IS my fault, after all.

What is it Sgt. Schultz always says?  "I know NOTHING!"