Saturday, April 5, 2014

A LOVE LETTER



My Dearest:

Oh, how I detest when the alarm goes off in the morning, waking me from our time together.  I stay with you, cling to you until I've stayed way past any time I should.  I simply cannot tear myself away from you, your soft embrace, the warmth of you.  The moment I roll away from you, I count the long minutes until we are together again.  I think of you all through the day, wonder what you are doing, how you are.  Do you miss me, too?  Do you wish for the feel of my weight against yours?  Yet when we see each other again, I am almost afraid to touch you, lest I drift into that familiar nothingness that makes our time together so effortless.  The way you brush against my cheek, touch my hair, mold to the folds of my legs. 

Soon.  So soon I will see you again and be with you again.  All night.  This time I promise I will spend the entire night with you, and I'll let the light of day wake me.  I promise to spend more time with you, but, my dearest, we cannot be exclusive.  Much as I love you, need you, want to be with you, I must separate myself from you lest you become a dependency to me.  Please understand why I leave you for long hours only to beg for your forgiveness and embrace when I finally return.

Wait for me.  I shall come home soon, and when I do, it will be like a dream.

Dearest Bed, you are my one and only, and I do adore you more than any other piece of furniture I own.  Yes, even the soft, doe-suede futon, though I've been known to nap there when you're not looking.  Please don't hold it against me.  Hold your clean, warm sheets against me, instead.  Let me rest my weary head against your pillows. 

You've no idea how much I truly do miss you, my friend, with your fluffy mattress pad and your flannel sheets and your extra blankets in case the cold creeps in during the dark night. 

Wait for me, bed.  Please, after the week I've had, I'm begging you.  Wait for me.