Saturday, April 26, 2014

WHY MY QUADS AND GLUTES HATE ME

I'm signing up for a 5k walk-run.

I used to be in pretty good shape.  I don't think I'm terribly out of shape, either.  I sort of ran a few weeks ago when I had a bronchial infection.  Last summer my daughter and I tried doing some training, and we got up to walk-running about four miles.  We'd have gone further if I didn't have to stop and pee from drinking so much water. 

My friend Sally and I walk six to eight miles every time we're in Boston, and this is no problem because we've already earmarked where every public toilet is in the city.  Every one.  Every single one.

For today, though, I've mapped myself a route; it's the large circular block around my house.  This entire route is exactly .5 miles.  It's a good route, too: 1/10th mile relatively flat, then 2/10th mile slow but steady upgrade, another 1/10th mile of exactly flat surface, followed by 2/10th mile straight down, the last of which is an extreme upgrade for about fifty yards. 

Normal people would probably walk the upgrades, jog the straight-aways, and possibly jog the downgrade.  I am not a normal person, however.

I decide that I am going to try and jog the whole thing. 

It starts out well enough.  The streets are quiet, and I set my sights on the stop sign at the top of the hill 2/10th of a mile ahead.  I have to remind myself to slow down.  I tend to get exercise-induced asthma, and though I don't mind the extreme red face so much, the wheezing sounds from my lungs scare the neighbors.  I make it to the stop sign, walk the straight-away, then haul-ass run down the hill.  I turn up the steep incline, stop at my driveway where I have strategically hidden water and tissues to blow my pollen-infested nose, then get back on track.

This second time around the circuit, I only make it halfway up the hill jogging, about 1/10th mile, and have to walk the other 1/10th mile up, across the straight zone, then I run run run run run down the hill.  I stop for water and a tissue break, then go out again.  I am determined to run-walk this 5k rather than walk-run it.

My third time around, I walk halfway up the hill then jog the second part of it, jog across the straight area a little bit, and still run my tush down the bigger hill.  I stop for the usual routine: Water, snots, continue.

The fourth time around, the jogging is getting less like jogging and more like walking sort of at a little bit of a faster pace.  I walk walk walk across the straight areas, and I run run run down the hill.

When I come up the steep part toward the driveway.  I see the mailman park his truck on my street.  He opens his truck door but doesn't get out yet as he is still sorting the neighborhood mail.  I don't want to give him a heart attack, so I say hello and wave as I go by.

The fifth time around, I figure I should just walk.  I walk the first straight-away.  I walk up the 2/10th mile upgrade.  I walk the strait-away at the top, and …. Ohhhhhh, doggie!!!!!! 

I love most dogs.  Okay, I love many dogs.  Some dogs I do not like.  Dogs that look like hamsters?  Nope.  Do not like those.  Not a tiny-dog fru-fru fan.  This one is a Siberian Husky with the most beautiful eyes and a fluffy white and silver and black coat.

"May I say hello to your dog?" I ask the man holding the leash.  I always ask in case the dog isn't friendly or the owner is a lunatic.

"Sure, but I can't guarantee he won't jump up on you."

With these words, the dog jumps up on me and plants a big slobbery kiss on my cheek.  In truth, he probably wants the salt I've sweated out during this debacle.  I wipe the slobber while looking down, way down, way way way down the hill.

Come on.  I can do this.  I can totally do this.

But my legs have turned to Jell-O.  I can't believe it!  All the times I walked from one end of Boston to the other, and I cannot do this?  I can do this, and inside my head some dumb-ass agrees with me, and I run down the hill.

After stopping for water and the by-now complimentary nose-blow, I decide to push that last .5 mile. 

I run and I run and I run right into the mailman. 

"I don't know why I do this," I say through short, raspy breaths.  "I'm too old!"

He smiles.  "No you're not!  Keep it up.  You're doing fine."

I laugh, thank him, start walking.


This time my legs will not let me run.  I have to walk.  I tell myself that I will walk the whole way.  I am "cooling down."  This is a fine plan until I get to the big hill and see a couple of the prep school boys on their way to the train. 

Well, no young preppies are going to go faster than I am simply because they want to make it to the commuter rail.  I run that last bit then crawl to my driveway.  I'm done; I'm spent.  I am not going to make it more than 1.5 miles this time.

All this would be reason to celebrate except …

… Except that I cannot move my legs the following morning.  My calves are upset with me, my thighs are not speaking to me, and my butt cheek muscles have gone on strike.  I am walking like my spine has malfunctioned, a fact not lost on at least one of the two women I am meeting to work on our presentation for next week.  Getting into a chair?  Easy.  Getting back up again?  Not so much.  It hurts terribly to move, and I simply want to stand still for the rest of the day and evening. 

The good part about all of this is that I am now back on the exercise track.  No point going through all that to blow it now.

The even better news is that I do not have to train at all.  I am not going to run-walk the 5k, and I'm probably not going to walk-run it.  I suspect I am just going for the "walk" part of it. 

The best part?  The very last leg of the 5k is downhill, so maybe I can run a little bit to make sure I don't come in dead-last and have a "loser" sign stamped across my sweaty forehead.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to hobble to the couch to sit down and try to figure out if the off-road part of the 5k has port-a-potties.  Otherwise I have to re-plan that part of the training, as well.