Thursday, January 3, 2013

WHEEL OF HEMORRHAGE (warning: TMI)



So far 2013 has not been stellar. 

You may want to stop reading here.  If you're male, you really may want to stop reading here.  (A couple of you men are still reading.  I know who you are.  I'm waving, and you've been warned.)

Here's how January first went:  I woke up still sick with The Great Winter Head Cold Round Two (which is merely an extension of the same cold I've been fighting since Thanksgiving), and by "woke up" I mean "pieced together four hours of dozing patches while struggling to mouth-breathe as my sinuses were impersonating the waterworks." 

In addition to being sick again, I awoke and discovered that I still have no working furnace, and by "still" I mean "repeatedly breaking down over the years and sometimes temporarily restarting much to my consternation, my landlords' bewilderment, and the puzzlement of multiple plumbers and contractors hired to fix it."  (To be clear here, I do not believe this is anyone's fault, and my landlords have been great about getting people here even on holidays, but the damn thing done died, and it may well be time to admit defeat on our part.)

The icing on this whole thing, though, was that I woke up with my period.  Oh yeah, like this is a big deal, you're saying.  She's a grown-up, you're saying.  She's a woman, you're saying.  Suck it up, you're saying.

Well, screw you.

Do you not remember the cheetah dress debacle mere months ago?  The doctor is trying to medicate me to keep me from bleeding out every month, but the truth of it is that I have a fibroid the size of a softball (that's not an exaggeration - the damn alien thing really is that large).  Every few weeks it's another round of Wheel of Hemorrhage!

PAT:  Hey, everybody, it's time for your favorite menopausal game show, Wheel of Hemorrhage.  Welcome to the show, Heliand.

ME:  Thanks, Pat.  Totally sucks to be here.

PAT:  I hear ya!

ME:  No you don't, fuckhead, you're a man.

PAT:  Well, that IS true, but I do HEAR ya!  (chuckles to himself, smiles at the camera, holds pose for a screen shot)  So why don't you spin the tampon, Heliand, and let's see what you're playing for.

(Heliand grabs giant tampon wheel, gives it a spin, and steps back with hands clasped in nervous anticipation.  Tampon wheel makes strange gurgling sounds as it sluggishly moves in a lazy circle.  Suddenly it stops on a space.)

PAT:  Oooooooooh, so sorry.  Medication isn't working today!  You lose half a pint of blood in twenty minutes, totally ruin your clothing, embarrass yourself in a team meeting when you have to crawl to the staff bathroom, and get sent home in shame.  (Turns to the camera and flashes that million-dollar smile.)  Vanna!  Tell Heliand what she's won!

ME:  But … wait … I don't--

VANNA:  You've won a case of ultra-super-dee-duper tampons, a gross of super-absorbency pads, and another month of attempting to medicate your problems away!  BETTER LUCK NEXT TIME, SUCKER!

ME:  I don't wanna win!  I don't wanna play!  FUCK MY LIFE!

PAT:  Well, Heliand, we'll see ya again next time, and we'll see which piece of furniture you wreck and who you'll scar for life when you bleed out in public right here on…

PAT, VANNA, AND AUDIENCE:  WHEEL … OF … HEMORRGHAGE!        

(Cue applause and music.)

Anyway,  a day has passed, and today I'm driving to work, I don't feel well, my car is almost as cold as the inside of my house, and I start getting the tell-tale cramping on the right side that indicates a vein has just let go.  As I am tooling along, I start mumbling to myself, "Damnation.  You had better not."  Then I get louder and progressively louder until I am careening along, fisted hands gripping the wheel in white-hot anger, screaming in near-tongues:

"Oh no you don't!  I will have you removed.  I will go to the doctor and have you cut right out and put in the trash like the piece of garbage that you are.  If you want to keep residing where you are, I suggest you just learn to behave yourself in there.  I can take you down, and I'll do it, too.  I'll get rid of you faster than yesterday's lunch.  You piece of shit alien life form.  You interloper!  Just behave your damn self in there!"

At this point I realize I am driving along route 28 and pretty much anyone and everyone on the road can see me ranting and gesturing wildly as if I am having an actual altercation with someone in my car.  I imagine for a brief moment what I will do if I get pulled over.

Then I smile because I know exactly what I will do.  I will drift to the shoulder of the road, put the car in park, roll down my window, look directly at the cop, and then the top of my head will split open like the dog in that movie The Thing, and in a voice rivaled only by Mercedes McCambridge's overdubbing of Linda Blair in The Exorcist, I will hiss loudly:

"Get back in your cruiser!  If you know what's good for you, you'll walk away right now before somebody gets hurt.  Trust me, officer, I'm menopausal, and you're not nearly armed well enough to tangle with my mood.  Just … walk … away."

To be honest, because every once in a while I feel that I probably should tell at least a fraction of the truth, my mood has more to do with the fact that it's the first day back to school after a vacation, I feel like my head is full of semi-gelatinous goop, and I've had no heat for days during the coldest snap we've had yet this winter.  Menopause truly has very little, if anything at all, to do with today's a-hole mood. 

But it's a helluva lot easier to poke fun of my softball-sized uterine fibroid than it is to admit I'm having a crappy day of my own volition.  It's easier to blame an alien life form that has no business residing in my body.  Besides, making fun of my snotty, raw nostrils is for tomorrow's fodder. 

That is, if I don't bleed out first.  Damn game show.