Sunday, January 6, 2013

THE GREAT AND POWERFUL DR. OZ



Facebook is a wonderful thing.  Without it I would never know the 100 foods that The Great and Powerful Dr. Oz wants in my shopping cart.  Never mind that he isn't paying for my grocery bill, but, like every other whacko out there, he feels the incessant need to tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to make it right per his agenda.

First I peruse the list to see what it is he thinks I'm doing correctly.  For fruits, I'm doing reasonably well.  I don't have these in my cart every week, but I'm doing okay by way of apples, oranges, strawberries, and watermelon.  I also throw in an occasional pomegranate and some Bing cherries.  Grapes have tasted bitter to me over the last few years, and I have gone from being a green-grapes-only gal to a red-grapes-only gal.  Not really sure what this turn of events means, but I'm certain The Great and Powerful Dr. Oz would make some kind of decree and demand I bring back the vine of green grapes or something equally uselessly time-consuming.

Baby carrots and potatoes are staples in my diet, and I've branched out a lot recently to include sweet potatoes whenever possible.  But the greens thing, I only hit iceberg lettuce on that.  I'm not a collard-greens kind of person.  But this is where his list of fresh produce ends.  Oh sure, there's an asterisk that says I can buy any other fruit and veggie my heart desires, but that gets me to wondering: Spinach is a pretty important veggie, and even though I mentioned strawberries, those aren't on the fruit/veggie list, nor are tomatoes, corn, onions, broccoli, or beans.  Yet Swiss chard should be in my cart all the time.  Is that just for roughage purposes?  Because I've found that excesses of peanut butter will accomplish the same result.

So where do I find my favorite fresh fruits and vegetables?  Why, under TG&P Dr. Oz's list of frozen foods.  Frozen.  Froooooooozennnnn.  Ice-cube-omundo, frigidioso, ala snowflake, frosted al dente.  Sure, sure, you'll tell me that the food is frozen "fresh."  Sure, as "fresh" as it can be frozen in a food processing factory and packaged into plastic bags seared shut with hot glue and decorated with ink.  Now, I'm no doctor, Oz, but it stands to reason that fresh foods from the store or a farm stand certainly outweigh benefits of food frozen and processed in an industrial plant (as opposed to a real plant).   

When I check out TG&P Dr. Oz's list of meats, I must admit to not buying bison meat.  I also admit to rarely buying pre-cooked meat that has been packaged by an outside corporation.  In other words, I don't buy the pre-cooked Perdue chicken pieces.  I'm sure they're probably fine, but I have a hard enough time seeing how fresh the meat is when I buy it; not knowing what the meat looked like raw makes me a little uncomfortable.  And really, Dr. Oz - no nitrate ham?  Is there really such a thing, or are you being one silly old doc?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Quite frankly, sir, meat should moo (or cluck or oink) when I pick up a package from the store - it should be that fresh and pure.

Canned foods crack me up because here is where I find tomatoes.  Honestly, I would eat a fresh, raw tomato over a processed, canned one any day of the week, but that's just me, apparently.  By the way, Doc Oz, why bother with the low-sodium stuff if you also expect us to be eating dill pickles, sardines, and anchovies?  So, I stay off the sodium in my chicken broth but pile it on with the canned mini-fish.  Hmmmmm.  Sounds almost like a bait-and-switch, and by bait I mean sardines are for fishing not eating.

When I get to the deli/cheese part of the list, I notice hummus.  Hummus, which is made from garbanzo beans, spices, and oil.  There isn't a single frigging dairy nor cheese product in hummus, and it isn't sold by the pound at the deli counter, at least not in the Northeast corridor.  Maybe we're just smarter than the rest of America, or maybe it's because tahini/hummus is manufactured by the tons up here.  I beg to differ and believe this is a vegetable product.  TG&P Dr. Oz and his staff of experts effed this one up, and I'm not backing down.  This list of his officially sucks, and he has no one to blame but hummus.

There's a whole gamut of other shit on this list, too, including pastas, grains, cereals, soy, condiments, herbs, beverages, and desserts.  As I look the list over, I need to be so bold as to admit that I don't know what the freak some of this crap is:  Edamame, polenta, agave nectar, and vegan mayo?  And what's with the chia seeds?  If I eat those, will I suddenly start growing bean sprouts for hair and run around singing, "Cha-cha-cha-chia"?

Seriously, dude, have you any idea what will happen to the ozone layer if we all start eating high fiber bars all day long?  Cows' flatulence will no longer be the number one pollution problem.  The question will no longer be "What's that smell," but rather "Who's that smell."  Pheromones won't be the odor of attraction anymore; it will be all about whose flatulence smells the most pleasant.  If we live by Dr. Oz's list, we're all going to turn into butt-sniffing pooches.

As I sit here drinking a pre-packaged, plant-processed pomegranate margarita, I truly believe that my eating habits are not that terrible.  Could they be better?  Absolutely.  Am I suddenly going to become addicted to quinoa?  Kids, I don't even know what the hell that is.  You're as likely to find bananas and yogurt in my cart as you are tonic water and Oreos, but it's relatively balanced and entirely eaten in moderation.  I swear to God, I'm trying, Doc Oz, I really am. 

If I'm doing too terrible a job, though, feel free to beat me with some of your fruit leather.  It's so versatile, according to your list, that you can actually eat the evidence after you're done.  Certainly there have to be some long-term anti-incarceration benefits in that.  After all, if there's no evidence, you walk, and I've heard walking has some health benefits, too.