Friday, January 11, 2013

BULLY ON YOU



Okay, I'm going to say something that will piss off a lot of people:

BULLYING IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO SHOOT PEOPLE.  IT JUST PROVES YOU REALLY ARE AN ASSHOLE.

Really.  Reeeeeaaaally.  No, really. 

I was bullied sometimes as a kid.  I'll bet every single one of us can come up with instances when we were "bullied."  I wore the wrong socks, had the wrong clothes, knocked out my front teeth so it took forever to get the second set, rode the wrong bike, listened to the wrong music, participated in the wrong activities, worked the wrong jobs, drove the wrong car.  I was the recipient of an ice ball to the nose, the brunt of cruel practical jokes, the fodder of gossip, the uninvited one to parties.

Not all the time, but still.  Does that count?

I was also the bully sometimes.  Usually my bullying was to right some social injustice or personal wrong.  I was (and still am) finessed in the fine art of payback; I have served up several plates of "eat-shit-and-die" and managed to come out smelling like a rose, though I'm much better at it now than I was as a kid.

I have learned the virtue of patience because justice is sometimes a long process.  One needs to be willing to wait because what goes around does indeed come around.  When the moment is right, when the golden opportunity presents itself, and it will, you have to be ready, and you have to possess the cajones to jump in with both feet. 

This may not be bullying in the true sense -- If you bully a bully, is that really bullying or is it simply planetary alignment? 

Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Generally speaking, though, I try to avoid verbal conflict.  Even after decades and decades, I am still slow on the uptake when people say rude things to me.  I'm getting quicker, but still.  It irks me when people say stuff to me, and I just stare in shocked silence rather than saying, "What the fuck is that all about?!"  I hate it when I think of something clever to say back … ten minutes later.  Oh, I'm quick as a whip when it's someone else and I'm the Great Defender, but when someone personally insults me, I go immediately to "stunned silence."  Rip-shit" kicks in later when I'm alone.  Then I get mad at myself, which is counter-productive.

Here's the bottom line:  GET A GRIP. 

No, truly, get a fucking grip.  Life isn't perfect; everybody doesn't get a trophy; you're not the smartest/coolest/prettiest/strongest.  You cannot fall apart nor go off the deep end every time someone says, writes, shares, challenges, associates crap about you.  Life is gritty and sometimes very unpleasant.  Deal; just fucking deal.

Maybe people make fun of you because you say shit like, "I'm going to lick this cookie on my lunch tray so no one else can eat it," and it's the high school caf because you're a junior and still doing idiotic BS like this.  Maybe people make fun of you because you use the top bar across the bathroom stall like it's the uneven parallel bars in Olympic gymnastics.  Maybe people make fun of you because the words "shower," "deodorant," and "soap" are foreign concepts to you

But shoot people?  SHOOT THEM?  Kill them dead?

Good god.

And you wonder WHY people think you're a freak.

You're not a victim; you're just a fuckhead.  Bully THAT, asshole.