Tuesday, January 22, 2013

NO NAME-CALLING WEEK ... YOU MORONS



Today is the official start to No Name-Calling Week at school.

Thankfully, it is a short week, only four days, because I will be completely mute by Friday.  I mean, it's bad enough that I can't call the kids names at school:
 
ME:  Why do you have a sharpened pencil sticking out of your nose?

STUDENT:  Because I figured if I actually stuck the sharp end INTO my nose, that might be bad.

(This is where I would usually say something intelligent like "Doofus" or "Goober" because honestly there's just no arguing with that logic, yet the pencil would still be up the student's nose.)

What about family members?  So when my son calls to tell me that he re-opened the thumb wound that has already had stitched closed twice this year, or when a neighbor tells me my sister has jumped out her bathroom window yet again, or when my daughter invites me on a "little walk" that turns into seven miles, I can't say anything like, "You knuckleheads, are you trying to kill me?!"

What about the idiot drivers, yapping on their cell phones and ignoring stop signs or sitting at green lights?  You're  telling me that I can't swear at those assholes.  So, apparently I honk and wave at them.  May I please wave with only one finger raised?

Telephone solicitors?  Come on, people, you cannot be serious here.  That's not fair.  That's not right.  That's like letting them bully me and I can't fight back.  It's like being duct-taped to a chair and forced to listen to Abba music for days on end.  My ears will start bleeding if I can't hurl nasty epithets via the phone lines.

Okay, really.  The inauguration was Monday.  So many politicians, so little time.  That's not even politically correct having No Name-Calling Week in the same week when Washington resumes its status quo.  Please!  Please let me say something.  It's like shooting fish in a barrel.  So easy, so satisfying, and we'll all have something to chew on after we've skinned and scaled 'em.  

I haven't taken the official pledge yet, so I can still opt out of participating in No Name-Calling Week, but I was semi-tricked.  At a meeting last week, I was tricked into accepting one of those bracelets for No Name-Calling.  It's like accepting a flower on behalf of those cult-like religious organizations that hang out at the airport.  Once you've been touched, you're essentially infected.

I will do my best to live up to the No Name-Calling Week's higher standards.  Truthfully, I give myself fifteen minutes, figuring that I arrive at school at 7:30 and the kids arrive at my door at 7:45.  If I make it through homeroom announcements, I'll be amazed.  But do this for four days?  An entire week?  Good lord, I'd be dead by Friday afternoon, in which case the kids can start calling me names … or continue the mutual tradition we started in September.  Losers.