Thursday, January 31, 2013

DON'T MIND MY MINDFULNESS



This evening's writing class focuses on meditation and mindfulness, including mindful eating.  I learn two things from the class:
            1.  Mindful eating is very noisy inside my head.
            2.  You cannot take the comedy out of the comedienne.

After doing some writing and discussion work, we are meditating.  Personally, I think meditating is a wonderful thing, and I want to be serious.  I truly do.  Eyes closed, we are focusing on our breathing.  I've had pneumonia about a dozen times, and every so often I will do deep breathing exercises just to make sure both of my lungs are inflating properly, so I have no problem with this part of the exercise. 

Except the "clear mind" part. 

My mind is going a mile a minute:  Are my lungs inflating?  Am I healthy? Should I exhale through my nose, too?  Is my nose whistling?  It's awfully dry in here. I wonder if anything good is on TV tonight.  When are the Bruins playing again?  Great shoot-out win Tuesday.  Is there an echo in here?  How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?  Hey, there's feta cheese in the fridge.  

I am supposed to be meditating, thinking of nothing, just breathing.  So I try applying a little Pilates -- breathe, feeling the rib cage expand then contract.  Expand then contract.  Expand then … what … what the hell is that noise?

Without opening my eyes, I realize the guy sitting across from me is snoring.  Snoring.  SNORING.  That's like ultra-meditation, right?  I try to control myself, but I'm smiling.  Thank goodness the teacher said she'd close her eyes, too, so hopefully she can't see me smirking and losing concentration. 

We are instructed to pay attention to our feet touching the floor (mine are not - I'm too short, so my feet are dangling about two inches away from the carpet), pay attention to our hands on our knees, pay attention to our shoulders, think about our heads being lifted straight as if our spine is being straightened by someone holding an invisible thread above our heads. 

A thread?  Holding up my head?!  Holy crap, I've meditated myself into a marionette.

The teacher rings a chime, and all I can think of is how long the sound echoes in the room… one second, two seconds, three… Suddenly a woman two seats to my right smacks her hand on the table and scares the shit out of all of us.  We still don't dare open our eyes because, hey, we're meditating.  Meditating.  MEDITATING.

Snoring Guy is still snoring, and now Fidgeting Girl is fidgeting.  I can hear them.  I listen, and then I listen some more, and I keep on listening.  Hmmmm, this has been an awfully long meditation session. I hope the professor is all right.  I don't think she has any outstanding heart conditions … does she?  What if she passed out and needs medical attention?  How will we know?  How long should we sit here like this?  Oh, shit, I'm supposed to be meditating.  Meditating.  MEDITATING.  Ommmmm.  Ommmmmm.  Wait, that's not it.  We're supposed to be breathing.  Is the professor breathing?  I know the guy across from me is breathing because he's snoring.  Snoring.  SNORING.  Breathe.  Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be concentrating on my breathing.  In.  Out.  Here.  Now.  Wax on.  Wax off.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

DING!  The chimes go off again, and I count the seconds again.  For some reason, I am obsessed with the length of time I am able to hear the chimes.  Maybe that makes me mindful and meditative.  Personally, I think it just makes me obsessive-compulsive.

Next comes the mindful eating.  First we are each given raisins.  I immediately make mine dance and start humming "I Heard It Through the Grapevine."  I look at the woman next to me and whisper, "Don't you wish you hadn't sat next to me?"  She nods slightly, closely examining her raisin. 

Eventually, after we've had our filthy paws all over them, we eat the raisins, chewing twenty-five times.  The noise inside my head is excruciating, and I am sure everyone else can hear it, as well.  I don't swallow my raisin right away because the professor only said to chew not swallow, and if it's anything like those Catholic communion wafers (I'm Protestant, so I don't honestly know this stuff), I don't want to fail meditation for finishing off the raisin if we're not being mindful of the poor sucker.

The same thing happens with the Ritz crackers, which are passed around after we've ingested the raisins.  We look at them, smell them, feel them, discuss them, chew them twenty-five times, and make a lot of noise with this progressive munching.

Then we are given slices of orange.  When we get to the "feel it" part, I start doinking mine with an index finger, watching the yellow-white end of it limply bounce back into place.  What does your orange slice feel like, we are asked. 

"Michael Jackson's nose," I reply.

The woman sitting next to me has clearly made the decision never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever, to sit anywhere near me again.

Look, I'm trying, really I am.  Meditating is a new concept for me; I'm not one to slow down, and I'm certainly not one to just shut off my brain voluntarily.  But you can't put me in a room with sleepers, jumpers, raisins, crackers, and wimpy orange slices and not expect me to come up with a treasure trove of material.  That's like locking a trained monkey in a round room and expecting it to find the corner.

I meditated, and the only deeper meaning I discovered is this:  While you may take the comedienne out of the comedy, you can never take the comedy out of the comedienne. 

Meditate for a while on that one.