Monday, January 21, 2013

TRASH PICKER WORKOUT



It's so windy out that I have to go trash picking.  Not the fun kind of trash picking, like when my friend and I drive by an old changing table that someone is disposing of, and we grab it so she can turn it into an awesome plant stand.  This is the not-fun kind of trash picking, like when I hear a crash outside and realize that my recycle bin has blown over.

I am still in my pajamas when I hear this.  Because it is sub-zero wind chill outside and I live in an old breezy building, my pajamas consist of a long-sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, heavy flannel pants, thick socks, and fleece-lined slippers.  This really isn't a bad outfit for appearing outside in front of the Sunday church-goers who line my street.  I am dressed well enough that no small children will be scarred for life if they spot me.

I make sure to unlock the door behind me and throw an extra set of keys into my pocket, just in case.  As soon as I step outside, a giant gust of wind threatens to knock me off the stoop.  Regaining my balance, I focus in time to see the same errant gale roll plastic and bottles and cans toward the road.  Suddenly I am chasing things and grabbing containers and picking up escaping cans as if I am gathering hundred dollars bills. 

It takes me a few minutes and several armfuls to get all the recycling back into the bin.  I weigh everything down by putting another bin on top and wedging everything next to the trash cans, which I learned two years ago will only stay put if tethered to the fence with strong rope and hardware screwed into the fencepost.  I haven't yet figured out how to secure the lid of the mailbox, though, and it flaps and slaps noisily whenever the breeze blows. 

It's always fun on trash and recycling days when the wind gusts are up over thirty miles an hour.  Sometimes it takes me hours, days even, to locate the missing bins that have blown down the street, through the intersection, and toward the train tracks.  It's like playing Where's Waldo with the blue plastic receptacles.  I finally write the address on them, but I feel funny about this -- People who happen by my trash (either where it belongs or to where it has blown) might say, "Holy crap, look at all the Cheezits that girl can go through!  Honey, did you see the number of empty pizza boxes?  There are enough beer bottles in here to melt down and build a glass house!" 

I wonder if I can put this in as exercise for the day:  I have to run, I have to bend over to pick things up, I have to twist and turn to secure the bins, and I have to curl my arms when refilling the recycling.   

Sounds like exercise to me.  Trash-Picking exercise.