Saturday, January 26, 2013

A BLARING UPDATE



Update on the blaring alarm story from Thursday:

Remember the alarms that woke me up at 4:30 a.m. the other day?

After I re-set the screeching fire alarms, I set off for work then a class forty-five minutes from home.  I did not get back until 8:00 at night, thirteen hours after I shut and locked the front door for the day.  I was exhausted but nervous that the damn alarms would go off again at any second.  I took a lightweight decorative pillow and put it over my head while I slept, hoping it might muffle the jolt I would experience if the hardwired smoke detectors went off again errantly during the night.

I was relieved to discover that I had gotten a full, uninterrupted night's sleep.  I started the car early, in case the battery had died in the sub-zero weather, and left for work before 7:00 a.m.  Around 3:00 my phone indicated one voicemail.  The voicemail was my landlady, telling my not to worry, it was a faulty fire alarm, and they disconnected the bad one for the time being.

Uh … I didn't know there had been a problem while I was gone.

Apparently sometime after I left the house, the alarms tripped again, and the landlords had to enter my house to figure out the problem.  They had come in and unhooked the faulty alarm, thus making sure the alarms would not go off except in the case of an actual fire.

I felt awful knowing I left the house and the alarms were blaring.  And yet, I was also relieved.  I'm sorry that the owners and my neighbors were inconvenienced and/or scared, but that's why I rent.  Better their problem (ultimately) than mine... especially since I can't even read a fuse panel.

Now, THAT'S alarming.