Sunday, January 20, 2013

A STOMACH WITHOUT A COUNTRY



I've suddenly gone all international with my eating.

I start with Chinese food ("Americanized Chinese") from the local greasy spoon take-out place that I like.  There's a better restaurant a few miles away in Lawrence, but they bogart their duck sauce and only serve it with fried wontons, and I like to pour it over my fried rice.  So, Peking Garden it is.

  Next up is authentic Colombian cuisine.  There's a place in Lowell, Delicias Paisas, that looks like a small bakery/take-out place on Bridge Street.  Once I enter, I see it's so much more.  One side is the bakery, and the other side is a full-service, sit-down, beautifully decorated dining room.  My friend, who married a native of Colombia and lived in-country for a while, orders for us both.  My plate arrives, piled high with steak, rice, biscuit, the best beans I've had next to Boston Baked, and something that is billed as fried pig skin but actually has nodules of pork that can best be described as a cross between bacon and pork roast.  I am so stuffed that I roll out onto the sidewalk and waddle to my car with enough food to feed myself twice more.

The following night I hit the pita bread and tabouleh, which I inhale quickly and without mercy.  In no time at all, an entire container of tabouleh has disappeared … and I'm home alone, so there's no one to blame but me.

Finally, I top this all off with Mexican food at Casa Blanca.  It's almost as good as the incredibly authentic Tacos Lupita in Haverhill, and it's leaps and bounds better than Chili's and Southwestern cuisine that bills itself as Mexican.

I top this all off with a Klondike bar, which is a purely American ice cream snack that masquerades as a Canadian Yukon treat.

I haven't quite circumvented the globe with my international eating habits, but it's a good start and a far cry from the PB&J that remains my go-to staple meal.

Salud, people.  May the Fork Be With You.