Sunday, January 27, 2013

WHAT'S NEW(S)?



I am watching the news in the morning before getting up for work.  I usually flip between six local stations.  I do this mostly because I am trying to catch a full weather report, but I am usually dozing while sitting up in bed, and once I realize I've missed the report on one station, I immediately flip to another.  I repeat this process for the sports report, too, which means the remote clicker gets an Olympic workout between 5:00 and 5:30 a.m. most weekdays.

My favorite used to be WBZ.  I've been a 'BZ girl since I was in elementary school because that station used to broadcast the school cancellations via the radio.  But their implosion of the Conversation Nation blog, once a fan-favorite news forum that turned into a politically stilted propaganda machine, makes it difficult for me to watch the station with any loyal regularity.  

I also watch WCVB, WHDH, and FOX25 occasionally.  If I want weather reports that are closer to my end of the state rather than the Boston forecasts, I'll switch over the WMUR out of Manchester, which was another childhood staple when growing up in southern New Hampshire.  I hold a special affinity for NECN, New England Cable News, mostly because so many Boston news people laughed at it when it first started airing, claiming it would never last.  It's actually the only local station that can get a weather forecast completely correct without Ollie Williams level histrionics.

Mostly the news just provides some background noise.  So much of it has been unwatchable in the last year.  I really can't stomach politics because the whole subject is just bad for my blood pressure, and that's all the news has been covering ad nauseam for the past year.  My blood pressure gets enough of a workout every time the news mentions snow… which it is mentioning right now … for Monday afternoon … when I'm supposed to have an after-school meeting.  

Already I am planning Monday's work escape.  I'm thinking early sign-out so that maybe I can crawl home before it gets too dangerous.

I'll check all six news stations before I make my final decision.