Wednesday, January 23, 2013

BRIDAL BONANZA



Saturday is Bridal Day. 

It is supposed to be My First Full Day Off Without Children since the week before Christmas.  However, I am invited out to lunch with my eldest son, future daughter-in-law, and her family, after which we will look for wedding invitations.   I find this prospect exciting because, as crazy as this may sound, I am a paper addict.  Yup - I could never work in a stationery store; it's almost as dangerous as when I worked at the bookstore.  As we peruse through the magnificent selection, I am little help in narrowing anything down because I am shell-shocked from all the exquisite paper stock, the glossy finishes, the lined envelopes, the embossed lettering, and the multitudes of manuscript styles. 

Apparently I am stricken with Oh-Shiny Syndrome.

Before the appointment, though, while we are walking along the sidewalk in front of the stationery store, I run into a co-worker and her daughter on their way to the bridal salon next door in search of a mother-of-the-bride dress.  We laugh (okay, I scream) with delight when we see each other, and we madly make introductions all around, as if either of us will remember whose-who in mere milliseconds.  I envy her just a bit for finally being decisive about shopping, something we've both bantered about for a while.  I have been window-shopping and Internet-eyeballing dresses.  I need two: One for son's black-tie wedding in September, and another for daughter's country club wedding in October.  The thought of actually trying on and buying these dresses is both seamless and daunting as neither bride has restricted me to colors or styles.  I like them all!

Someone needs to help me make decisions, because, alas, I have been struck again with Oh-Shiny Syndrome.

But before any of this happens, Bridal Day starts with an early appointment at the salon where my daughter purchased her gown.  There is a trunk sale, and she is hoping to at least score a veil.  I am hoping she scores a veil, too, because it will be 15% off.  We have a good idea of both length and style, and it's more a matter of finding one to match the dress than anything else. 

We are an easy appointment, and I have my daughter to thank for that.  Throughout this whole process, she has been the one to avoid the grippe of Oh-Shiny Syndrome.  That's not to say she doesn't love the bling, because my girl looooooves the bling.  And she's had a wonderful sense of adventure as I have forced her into every imaginable style of dress at every bridal store between here and Kalamazoo, mostly to her calming chant of, "Mom, no.  Seriously, noooo." 

My girl has wisely enlisted the help of her friend, and the veil possibilities change out rapidly.  I am fascinated watching the process.  I feel the same sense of positive anxiety here that I will feel later at the stationery store but for a different reason.  At the stationery store, I am overwhelmed by my own paper-lust.  At the bridal salon, I am overwhelmed by the bling.  Every veil looks good; the added headband looks fantastic; the drop earrings are gorgeous; the jewelry trunk show is within arm's distance … 

CRYSTAL, CRYSTAL, EVERYWHERE, I FEEL MY WALLET SHRINK; CRYSTAL, CRYSTAL, EVERYWHERE, OH HOW I NEED A DRINK!

Then I breathe, because daughter and her friend have everything under control.  They will not let me be distracted by the extras.  Focus.  Veil.  Breathe.  Minutes are all it takes to choose the final option.  We're in the clear, until I look down and see a giant pin at the edge of my daughter's gown.  A damn pin, shiny and silvery, threatening to cause some kind of damage to an otherwise perfect moment.  I lean over to pick up the sharp metal sliver, and… and … it slips out of my hand and into the skirt of my daughter's bridal gown.

Shit.  Damn.  Frig.

The friend sees my look of panic and knows instantly what I have done.  I know what she must be thinking.  If only I didn't have Oh-Shiny Syndrome, maybe I would have the presence of mind to move AWAY from the gown after grabbing a potential weapon of dress destruction.  My daughter's friend comes to my rescue and grabs the pin, carefully extracting it from the material without causing any damage.  I doubt very much that she's thinking, "My god, Heliand is a dumbass," but if she were, I would rightfully deserve it.  She saves the moment, saves the appointment, helps to pick the veil, and helps preserve about five years my heart almost takes off of my life.

We place her order at the register, pay, and get the hell out of there before I break, tear, or damage something else.  When we get to the car and start talking about the pin near-disaster, daughter reveals that the pin we found had also found its way into her foot at some point during the appointment.  We unlock doors, laughing about morbid things, like tetanus and blood poisoning and the transference of needle-borne viruses. 

As we maneuver into our seats, there is a distinctive, loud tearing noise. 

My mind reels back to the dress, the pin, and the almost-horror I caused by trying to get a piece of metal off the rug of the salon.  Suddenly my daughter screams with laughter (we do a lot of joyous screaming in our family) and bends over to show us her pants … which have ripped … right across the rear where her thigh meets her hip, exposing a slash of skin to the icy elements of New England winter.  And I'm not sure if it's the stress-release or simply because of the moment in general, but all three of us explode into hysterics. 

Do we think to take pictures of the veil with the dress?  Of course not.  We think instead to take pictures of my daughter's ass-cheek sunning itself in the January air along route 114 for all traffic, northbound and southbound, to enjoy.  And in that fleeting moment, as my brain is struggling to re-oxygenate after hyperventilating from laughter, I am suddenly enlightened to the reality:

It's Bridal Day; Veils, invitations, dress shopping, and errant ass cheeks are all worthy of the moment, and the whole experience is Oh-Shiny.