Monday, January 14, 2013

NO FORTUNE FOR YOU




We buy take-out Chinese food for dinner last Thursday.  It's amazing how the restaurants know just the right amount of fortune cookies to put into the bag, so my son and I are thrilled to find two cookies with our order. 

He opens his fortune right after he finishes several plates full of food.  I always let others choose their cookies first because I like to think they are choosing their fortunes while I leave mine to fate, the luck of the draw.  It is perhaps a very bad way to go through life, but since it's merely a fortune cookie, packed into the confection by an American processing plant no doubt, I don't put a lot of stock into the cookie's precognitive powers.  My son's fortune is vague and ethereal, as most of them are:  A master can act without doing anything, teach without a word.

I ignore my fortune cookie, letting it sit quietly on the counter, tucked into the corner by the basket of car keys, wrapped up in its cellophane cover.  Every time I pass it by over the next three days, I think nonchalantly and somewhat flippantly, "My fate awaits me.  I wonder what it will be."  Ha ha ha!

Finally, Sunday rolls around, the day I have to bring my Chinese-food-eating son back to college.  I realize that I should probably open the fortune cookie and share with him what great words of wisdom our dinner has held secret.  Sure, it's just a meaningless ritual; sure, it's just words on a tiny piece of paper, printed out randomly by a computer program fed through to an industrial printer.  I don't really care what it says, after all, because it's the camaraderie of the experience.

Right?  RIGHT?!

I believe this until I break open the fortune cookie.  For all my denial of true and heartfelt anticipation, for all my pretense that I do not believe in the truth held within a folded tasteless circle of crunchy brown confection, I am all at once horrified to discover my fortune cookie is empty.  Empty.  EMPTY.  I am essentially fortuneless. 
(This is the actual cookie.)

Suddenly it hits me:  I have no future!

Damn you, pork fried rice.  To hell with you, chicken wings.  May the Force not be with you, beef teriyaki. 

My mind starts rolling:  Should I call a psychic?  Have my Tarot cards read?  Go to a palmist?  Play the lottery?  Up my life insurance coverage? 

Kudos to the clever minion working the assembly line who decided to skip a cookie's fortune.  I can just imagine you rubbing your hands together in glee wondering what kind of psychotic idiot is going to go postal over missing non-Ancient Chinese wisdom with their take-out egg rolls.  You clever bastard.  You got me good, my friend!  I salute you.

And may I add, Great and Powerful Fortune God, that you, sir, are a master who can act without doing anything, teach without a word.  In other words, Consumer Confucius.  Rei, my sensei, I bow to you.