Wednesday, January 9, 2013

POLITICAL SHOPPING



Okay, I must admit that I'm getting lazy.  

There is a perfectly fine, well-stocked, reasonably-priced grocery store about four miles from my house.  The traffic in and out of there is often a nightmare, but the selection of products is impressive, I always save cash, and even their store brands are pretty good. 

However, I have decided that most of the time convenience outweighs common sense, and I go shopping at the store that is only about a mile from my house.  Oh sure, the selection blows and the prices and higher, but I can often get sales that make it almost but not quite worth my while.  Their produce selection is horrible, and they often put milk out that has marginal dates.  But there's something to be said for a quick trip in and out; you see, this store is so detested that most of the locals shun it and travel four miles to the family-owned conglomerate, which means that there is always decent parking and there are never any lines.

There is one more store that's even closer, less than half a mile from where I live.  It's more of a specialty grocery store, and the parking lot is a nightmare of a maze.  One can get in easily enough, but parking is limited, and the exit requires a series of twists and turns that rival wartime strategic plans.  The produce is great, but everything else is natural or imported.  I'm not even sure if they sell regular old white cow's milk as they are more apt to sell hand-churned goat-butter and tofu ice cream.  I'm not even sure if they sell meat there, but if they do, it's probably free-range bison raised by hemp-wearing hippies who prefer tie-dye to tie clips.

I'm lazy, but I guess this makes me middle-of-the-road lazy:  I'm somewhere between uber-convenience and snobbery, somewhere between where the closet-Democrats and working-class Republicans shop and where the Kennedy-crats and Romey-cans shop.  

Apparently even my shopping habits are unenrolled, and that suits me just fine.