Tuesday, January 8, 2013

GYM TIME



I finally got back to the gym today.

First I had bursitis in my hip.  Actually, I still have it, and it's slowly improving (or I'm just getting more tolerant of the pain), but I'm sick of waiting for it to heal.  It's not going to heal if it hasn't done so in five months.  Then I got Killer Cold #1, the one with the migraines and sinus pain.  After that, the holidays came and went along with company and relatives.  Finally, I got Killer Cold #2, which was the sneezing-sniffling-draining-probably-the-flu head cold that prevented me from getting any sleep longer than ninety minutes at a time, and this went on for seven days/nights.

It has been so bad that a co-worker asked me this morning, "So, are you healthy YET?"  I gave the tentative head nod and assured him that my voice was back, and that's a major benefit when one is a teacher and talks for a living.

Later on, during an after-school faculty meeting, my phone started buzzing.  It was a message from my middle child.  I have to admit that my first reaction to my daughter's text ("Y today?") caused me to break out in hives.  Was I ready to go back to the gym?  What about my hip?  My head cold?  My exhaustion?

Turns out I was ready. 

I ran an entire mile today.  I have never run a mile in my life.  Ever.  I did some weight training, some sit ups, and had enough energy for 5 push-ups - that's all my arms could manage after it was all said and done.  I know, I know, the mile I ran was on a treadmill, and the grade never changed.  I didn't put it on any fancy pattern nor special program.  I ran a mile at 4.7 mph.  A mile.  I ran.  Me.  The sprinter who thinks fifty yards is forty-nine too many.  The woman whose face turned red and whose breathing bordered on asthma when doing warm-up laps for judo class.  It's so huge I have a hard time even realizing the truth of it:  I ran continuously for an entire mile today. 

And I didn't die.  I didn't even hack up a lung par usual.  As a small matter of fact, I feel  damn good.  Okay, not damn good, but pretty good.  Okay, not really because the aches are starting and I worked so hard that I'm dozing off. 

But I didn't die. 

So it's all good.