Friday, January 5, 2018

SNOWED MYSELF


I am so gullible.

Who is the one always criticizing the weather professionals?  Who is the one constantly bitching about the storm hypes?  Who says after every storm to end all storms, "That was pure bullshit!"?

I am and I do.

And yet I fell for it again.  Okay, not completely.  I didn't rush out and stock up on groceries, I didn't fill up my car beyond its half-tank of gas, and I didn't rush out for road salt or shovels.  But, I did allow the forecasters to influence my excitement over the impending (now raging) storm.

Cyclone.  Bomb.  Cyclone Bomb.  Blizzard.  Floods.  It's fucking Armageddon.

Okay, no.  Actually, it's just a snowstorm with some windy conditions.  The coast is getting whacked, that's for sure, due to the Super Moon and the high tides.  People who stay close to the ocean under these conditions, though, are maybe not being the wisest. 

However, people like me who live inland are reasonably comfy watching the quiet storm drift and blow with relatively little noise.  No howling, no screeching -- just a pleasant dumping of snow.  The neighborhood kids have been out sledding, and I haven't heard any crashes at the tricky intersection near my home.

The only really crappy part is that the storm will not wind down until after it gets dark and tomorrow will be another days-long deep-freeze.  Shoveling in the dark blows chunks.

I fell for it, though.  I believed that we would lose power, that windows would be rattling and shingles would be tearing off the roof.  I had that sick anticipation of having to shovel not inches but feet of snow (not going to happen ... maybe a foot on average).  I let myself be swayed by all the gadgets used at the local news stations.

Next time a snowstorm is predicted, remind me I allowed myself to be gullible.  I snowed myself!  Hopefully, it won't happen again.