Wednesday, January 31, 2018

"SNOW-MOBILES" IN THE PARKING LOT

One of my teammates and I live reasonably close to work.  She lives six miles away, and I live eight miles away, two miles northwest of her house.  It's a pretty easy commute to work, and we both tend to take the back roads unless the weather is sucky.

One thing that we have both noticed is that whenever there is a snowstorm, it doesn't matter which coworkers are coming from where ... closer, farther, north, south, east, or west ... our two cars are always the ones that arrive covered in snow.  It's like we are snow magnets.  People pull into the lot next to our cars and say things like, "Did you come from the mountains?  Is there a blizzard where you live?"

No, damnit, it's snowing the same as it is everywhere else.

This morning our snow starts late.  Most people are in it by 5:00 a.m., and it's all around but hasn't enveloped us quite yet.  Our snow doesn't start until about 6:15 a.m.  Still, though, when we arrive at work, our cars both look like we've been through the great snows on the peak of Kilimanjaro while everyone else's cars look like they've been in the hot plains beneath the same behemoth.

The weather snows and blows for several hours, but the sun comes out two hours or so before the end of our work day.  It's still cold out, but the melting has commenced.  I leave before my coworker does, and I assume (dumb move right there) that our cars will be cleared off between the sun and the wind.

I am wrong.

Of all the cars left in the parking lot (there are dozens), our two cars are the only ones still covered with snow.  I look around just to be sure.  Nope, this is no joke.  Even the coworker who drove in  through the heavier snow this morning has a spotless car.

I start my car, turn on the front and rear defrosters, grab my scraper-brush from the backseat, and start to clean off my car.  I stop, though.  I really feel like this moment deserves to be captured for posterity, so I snap pictures of our vehicles and text them to my teammate, who is still in her room.  Like me, she is not remotely surprised by the white crap clinging to just our cars. 

I brush off both of our cars while I wait for my rear window to de-ice.  Might as well save her the same annoyed disappointment that I experience coming out after a long day to find our cars the only "snow-mobiles" on the premises.