Sunday, January 7, 2018

I AM LEAVING THE LIGHTS ON ... LITERALLY

It's Epiphany weekend.  In holiday terms, this means that Christmas is officially over.  The infamous Twelve Days of Christmas have now passed, and there's really no reason why my house should still be decorated other than the simple fact that I enjoy the lights very much.

I won't lie; sitting in the chilly front room (poorly insulated old house) in front of the electric fireplace and snuggled under thick blankets while watching television or reading is made infinitely more enjoyable with the tree still aglow.  I have started collecting some of the decorations I've spread all over the downstairs, and I've placed them under the tree, so things are migrating in the post-holiday direction.

I cannot help myself, though.  I really, really, really like the festive atmosphere of the season.  It helps to survive these sub-zero, dark, snow-laden stretches.

Something else helps to get through -- sun.  Thank goodness the sun has been out post-storm.  It doesn't temper the wind chill, but at least there is an illusion of warmth through the windshield of the icy car or through the frosted windows of the house.  The sun also reminds me to be thankful and present while the season is still here when I walk past the ready-to-be-taken-down decor.

I have a second, small tree in the den (a glorified hallway between the kitchen and the tiny living room), and I set up a Santa band and an electric talking Santa to make it more holiday-like.  As I'm meandering through, debating taking down the Christmas set-up and getting my house back to its typical boring look, I notice a bright shaft of sunlight piercing the room.  It lands directly on the electric Santa.

I cannot explain why, but the sunlight on the toy warms my heart and prevents me from moving anything anywhere.  Nope.  That sunny Santa is going to stay right where he is for another few days, maybe even another week or two.  Truly I am not being lazy.  With two snow days from work, I've certainly had the time and means to take it all down and put it all away.  I simply do not want it all to end just yet.

If you're suffering from post-holiday withdrawal and you need a little holiday magic to break up the tundra-like existence cursing us all in the Northeast right now, grab yourself a blanket and head on over.  I'll leave the lights on ... literally.