Tuesday, January 2, 2018

CELEBRATING WITH A DECENT FOUNDATION

2018 starts out with a mini celebration. 

We have the brilliant idea to have Thanksgiving for New Year's Day.  Of course, I cannot find any small turkeys, and I'm not getting a turkey breast since my daughter and I both like the dark turkey meat, and we'd feel completely ripped off. 

The huge turkey means that we can invite other people, and, since this whole thing has really been my daughter's brainchild, she extends the invitation to a couple of pals who live close-by.  She does the entertaining (games and conversation) while I do the cooking. 

Except for the potatoes.  We argue about the potatoes.  She wants to peel them; I don't like people in my kitchen with me unless they are sitting at the table and not underfoot.  I relinquish, and good thing because her help actually coordinates the meal to timely perfection.

Most people begin the holiday season with Friendsgiving, usually a weekend or two before Thanksgiving in November.  We end the holiday season that way, or perhaps we are starting 2018 with Friendsgiving.

No matter.  Beginning the new year with friends and family and celebration sounds like a solid foundation for a decent 364 days to come.