Tuesday, January 16, 2018

JANUARY IS A CLUSTER****

Damn you, January.

To be honest, it's not really January's fault, and, after decades, I should be expecting this by now.  But, really.  Can't an old girl hope?

Shortly after 3:00 a.m. I am awakened by what I hope is a migraine.  I say, "I hope," because the three alternatives are much worse.  The first alternative is an aneurysm.  The second alternative is a stroke.  Unfortunately, I do know exactly what it is because I suffer them starting in mid-January every year.  Every.  Damn.  Year.  Ever since I was a little kid and for so long that I cannot even remember when they started ... every damn year.  The third alternative: Cluster Headaches.

When I first wake up, I fear that maybe I have the flu.  I feel a little hinky and am slightly agitated.  When my mind fully focuses, I am suddenly and keenly aware of a hot spike being jammed through my right eyeball.  Unfortunately, my only bathroom is downstairs and far away from my bedroom, so I stumble down the stairs, holding onto the railing but still suffering from enough vertigo to make me walk slightly sideways.

As soon as I'm in the bathroom, I flick on the light.  MISTAKE!!!!  MISTAKE!!!!!!!!! Ow, ow, ow.  The lights cause more pain, and now even my ear is complaining.  I glance in the mirror to make sure my face works.  I've had Bell's Palsy, so I know what a non-working face looks like.  Everything seems okay.  My right eye isn't droopy; a little red, perhaps, but definitely functioning, as much as I can tell without my glasses.

The conundrum: Do I take medication and risk puking it right back up, or do I attempt to go back to bed and sleep on my left side hoping for a miracle?  My eyeball begs for the medication; my stomach warns me against it.

I shut off the bathroom light and trudge back to bed.

I honestly don't believe that I will fall asleep again, but I do.  On top of having severe pain, I am exhausted, and the exhaustion mercifully trumps the eye pain.  I sleep about four hours, get up, feel sick still but can almost function.  I add a few pillows to the bed, prop myself up, and attempt to doze off again in a sitting position.  Thank the Headache Gods, I sleep another ninety minutes.

When I drag myself out of bed to start my day, I feel like I've been through three intense rounds at a Golden Gloves tournament.  My body aches from toenail to hair follicles.  My eye pain has dissipated to a normal headache dull throb, and my ear feels like it has an infection, which I know it doesn't because I never feel any pain when I do have an ear infection.  I know that this is the way the cluster headache attempts to exit my skull like some kind of nerve-worm.

I have things to do today and errands to run.  Thankfully, it is a no-school day or else I'd be on the absentee roster.  I'm trying to rally, but anyone who suffers cluster headaches understands that this may not be a bright idea; the cold January air might make my head clearer or might bring that clusterfucker right back with brand new strength.  It's another conundrum.

I have migraines and I have cluster headaches.  Depending on where I am and what I'm doing, neither kind is better nor worse than the other.  The only advantage, and I do mean ONLY, is that a migraine usually goes away and is a one-time event ... until the next one.  Cluster headaches are exactly that: They happen in clusters.  I'll get another one and another one and another one, sometimes several in a day or a week or a month.  For some odd reason, perhaps barometrically, they seem most prevalent in January.

So, damn you, January, you clusterfuck.  One of these years, I might escape your clutches, but, judging on my amazing consistently, I'll probably be dead by then.