Tuesday, June 20, 2017

TOTEM PROJECT DAY

Today is project day!  Yay!

I spend all day Saturday prepping multiple packets of stuff for a project I've suddenly decided that I must do: paper-towel tube totem poles.  I cut up pieces of craft paper, construction paper, buy 2,500 stickers, invest in eighteen glue sticks, and cut and tape shut twelve plastic snack baggies so that I have twenty-four packets of sequins and other metallic charms to distribute evenly amongst the classes and groupings.

In other words, the project is a GO.

I've never done anything like this.  The idea came to me while I was recycling paper towel tubes, and, since it is the end of the year and I'm short on time, I figure the worst that can happen is that kids glue charms onto their heads.  They're middle schoolers, so I kind of hope that they don't even joke about this, but, yes, apparently at least one child who shall remain nameless (Ryan) decides that gluing charms to himself will help his social life.

The project does not crash and burn as I am expecting it to.  Instead, it works out pretty darn well -- except for the pile of paper scraps and glittery metallic sequins and charms I have to sweep up using a very short, very small broom.  I know the janitorial staff will not be too mad at me; other than moving my desks around constantly, the layout of my room is relatively easy for sweeping, but I don't want to leave that kind of mess behind me.

Besides, if the totems start falling apart tomorrow, no one can trace them back to my classroom because my floor is practically spotless.