Thursday, June 29, 2017

STRANGE THINGS YOU SEE IN A STORM

Growing up I was always taught that during a thunderstorm, one does not go outside. Of course, that doesn't include driving, which is what I do during the storm.  This allows me to see some crazy people doing exactly what they're not supposed to do: They go outside during a storm.

First of all, there are the errant exercise walkers and joggers.  It's bad enough these people are placing their lives in danger by exercising amongst carbon monoxide on main thoroughfares.  Couple that with an errant electrical storm, and these health-conscious people suddenly seem very unhealthy.

Secondly, there are gas station attendants.  Hey, I stop for gas in between storms, too, but when the attendant tells me he is outside PUMPING GAS when a lightning bolt hits nearby, well, kids, that's crazy talk right there.

Then, there's this third happening.  The grocery store I pull into when it's raining so hard that I cannot see anymore has a teenage boy walking people to their cars while carrying a metal-based umbrella.  Kid!  Your manager hates you; quit now.

By far, though, the Best Person Outside During a Thunderstorm goes to... drum roll ... the couple walking near the churches.  He is wearing a Batman emblem t-shirt and cape, and she is wearing a Superman t-shirt and is carrying ... in the rain ... a ukulele. Wait.  Not just carrying. 

PLAYING.  A UKULELE.  IN A THUNDERSTORM. 

What the heck is she singing?  "Hit me with your best shot..."

I'm not quite sure to which god or goddess she might be singing, but she is strumming along and belting out some tune for us all.  If she were smart, she'd be singing, "Gimme shelter..."  I imagine that the rain cannot be good for the ukulele, and, besides, it's thundering, people; GET INSIDE.