Friday, June 2, 2017

A CLOUDLESS, CLOUDY, PARTLY-CLOUDY DAY

Work at 7:00 a.m.
My children mock me for my cloud fascination.  It's true -- I've missed highway exits and probably caused multi-car wrecks behind me when driving distracted by clouds.  I'm a decent weather forecaster, though, based on my cloud observance.

I am completely unprepared on Wednesday evening when I hear what I believe to be the train (the tracks are within spitting distance) and realize that it's thunder.  Seriously?  I'm trying to work on the computer, but I check the radar and see a small but powerful storm almost on top of my location with a huge-ass line of bright, bold red (thankfully not purple) weather heading toward me several miles later.

Work at 3:00 p.m.
The payoff to this distracting and inconvenient line of storms is that Thursday should be pleasant.  It isn't.  There are low clouds hanging in the sky on my way to work.  Oh, wait, now the sun is out.  Nope, gone again.  A little ways up the road, sunny.  Cloudy.  Sunny.  In my eight-mile morning commute, my sunglasses and driver's-side visor become their own comedy show.  When I finally park my car in the work lot, there is a swirl of clouds in the sky with a blue-sky hole in the center.

Yes, it's going to be a good day.  Until it isn't.

It stays grayish off and on, but, as I leave work by the side door, it's sunny and hot and very humid.  I look up expecting blue skies, but, no, it looks like all Hell is about to break loose again.  Several times on the ride home, large splotches of rain tease the windshield.  I have a dentist appointment today, and I had been planning to walk there, but now, I'm not so sure.  I check my phone for weather alerts and discover that severe weather is threatening, yet again.

Home at 3:30 p.m.
A half hour after arriving home, I'm still planning to drive to the appointment, but a quick look outside proves that it's a crap-shoot guess as to what the weather will do.  The storms the alert alludes to are breaking into random showers across the nearby area, so I open my door and look outside.  Half of the sky looks like a perfect summer day, and the other half looks like a giant white-wash wave of snow.  If I am driving, I don't have any change for the meters, so I scrounge around my son's room and steal two dollars in quarters.  Yup, I'm not taking any chances; I'm driving.

When I emerge from the dentist after an hour, the air isn't as humid.  As a matter of fact, it's quite pleasant.  They sky is a gorgeous, cloudless blue.  Somehow, without any pomp nor circumstance, the entire day is saved.  Except that now it is after five o'clock in the evening.  I guess the evening is saved.

Home at 5:15 p.m.
No matter.  I get some cloud pictures (not as great as my pal's professional storm photography of yesterday's approaching boomers) to add to the blog.  If I don't post my cloud pics to be mocked, what fun would life be, anyway?  It's just a little something to share with my kids ... that drives them all absolutely nuts.