Friday, June 16, 2017

TO SNOOZE OR NOT TO SNOOZE

I stay up way too late last night.  I am grading some gawd-awful open responses because the students are as done with the school year as the staff is, and nobody proofread anything before handing it in.  By the time I am ready for bed, my eyeballs are falling out of their sockets.

Then I remember that I haven't paid the credit card bills due next week.  Damnit.  After I get those bills ready to mail, I figure I might as well pay some others.  I suddenly remember that I received a notice about renewing my license, but I cannot for the life of me remember into which pile it was put.  I search the kitchen, the den, the living room, upstairs, downstairs, and then I make these rounds four more times before writing myself a huge note:  LICENSE RENEWAL.

By the time I get to bed, it's after midnight and I am pissed as Hell at myself for losing the DMV notification.

I toss and turn for a while because I am now completely agitated.  I finally fall asleep.  Usually I get up at least once, which I kind of like because I can tell myself things like, "Three more hours to sleep ... two more hours to sleep..." or whatever it happens to be.  When I wake up during the night this time, though, I glance at the clock, preparing to calculate my sleep-leftover time.

I try to decipher the clock from across the room, and I think it says 1:30.  I have to get up and pee, anyway, and now I can get back to the business of snoozing.  Right?

Wrong.  I am not quite sure what the clock really does say, so I slide on my glasses and glance over.  4:50.  Wait.  Wait a second.  4:50?!  First of all, I rarely sleep through like that, and, second of all, damnation -- I have to get up in twenty minutes.

By the time I get back upstairs from the long trek to the bathroom, which is inconveniently located at a distance from the bedrooms that corresponds roughly with the distance between Boston and Istanbul, the clock reads 4:53.

Pissah.  Wicked.  Wicked pissah.

Now, the conundrum.  Do I stay up or try to get back to sleep?  As I contemplate the state of my universe, I am hit by a massive hot flash.  Covers off, fan on, window open. Holy motherfucker, I'm melting like the damn Wicked Witch of the West.  Still trying to decide if I should roll off the bed and get on with my day or not, I think about how nice the fan feels as I start returning to normalcy post sweat episode.

The next thing I know, the radio-alarm is playing something, I'm not quite sure what because my brain is completely shut off.  Not only did I doze off again, apparently I have been comatose for about fifteen minutes.  I feel surprisingly refreshed after my extra shut-eye, which is good because I see my note to myself sitting on the kitchen table and start tearing things apart looking for that stupid DMV paperwork with no success.

I stay at work way too late and finally leave the parking lot a full twelve hours after my initial early-morning wake-up (4:53 p.m.), bring home a pile of work, and start packing it all away around 9:00 p.m.  I decide to do one more perusal through the same piles of paperwork that I have already searched at least a half-dozen times now for that missing DMV crap.

Guess what I find sitting right out in the open, mocking me and my exhausted ways?  Yup, the damn DMV paperwork, and it is exactly where I thought it might be in the first place.

I'd love to stay and chat some more about the sad state of my life right now, but it's getting late, I have to enter grades that I just completed, I have to get up early for work, and I am damn tired from last night's and this morning's sleep fiasco ... sleep-asco ... fia-sleep ...

Yup.  Once again, my eyeballs are falling out of their sockets. I'll be back during the night, or maybe around 4:50 a.m., if I'm really, really lucky enough to make it straight through two nights in a row.