Saturday, June 10, 2017

DEER IN MY SIGHTS

Sometimes I look at the time and play Beat the Clock on my way to work; some days I don't even look at the clock until I realize that there are no other cars in the lot because it's 6:40 a.m.  Today is an early day, and I arrive ahead of almost everyone. 

As I come around one corner and near the massive school complex, I see a deer.  Certain that it will have gone into the woods by the time I inch up to it in my car, I am surprised to find it staring at me from about forty yards.

"Hello," I say casually as I stop the car for a better look.  I roll down the windows slowly.  "Hi, sweetie," I sing from my car.

The deer seems to be unconcerned with my presence.  As soon as I speak, the deer stops in its tracks and stares at me.  It stands there, rapt in my conversation, even when I threaten it with my cell phone camera.  I snap a few pictures, even at a distance.  I continue to take photos and chat smoothly.  The deer, in return, waves its stubby tail at me.

Finally, after about a minute or two, I say out loud, "Well, I have to get to work, deer.  Thanks for hanging out."

With a shake of its head, the deer turns and ambles down a long, freshly mowed path toward the soccer field far below my school and I turn my car into the parking lot, both of us getting back to our too-early day.