Sunday, June 25, 2017

EPIC FINISH

I survive the last day of school, which is epic.  Trust me.  If you know anyone who teaches, they will confirm this -- the survival part, anyway.  On the last day, though, we have to stay for a while after the kids leave the building. 

This is where careful planning comes in.

The filing is mostly done, so I finish that up.  The chairs are up, but I'm not cleaning desks; there's no point until September.  I don't even wash my boards this June; someone will probably write on them during the summer, anyway.  My desk has been completely cleaned and reorganized.

Only one thing remains: sorting out the junk pile from the totem project that I decided was soooo important with three days left.  To prep for the project, I cut craft and construction paper, purchased 2500 little stickers, cut ribbon, bought glue sticks, created templates, found small coloring ideas, and ... (drum roll here) ... scooped thousands of sequins and small metallic decorations.

The last hour of school this year is spent sorting through the mound of leftover materials: little paper pieces go in one pile, stickers go in another, and the sequins are put back into little bags for next time.  If there is a next time.  I'm not so sure there will be because cleaning and sorting this stuff is almost maddening.

It's all done, though.  Next year when I debate the totem project, remind me of this moment because I will totally forget.  It's like childbirth: you forget how much of a painful process it is until you do it again, and again, and maybe even again.  When I open up my desk and see all the sequins in little bags, I'm sure I'll think to myself, "Hey, that wasn't so bad!" 

Sitting at my desk on the last day sorting it all out? 

Epic.  Epic finish.  As usual.