Wednesday, June 7, 2017

MEETING THE QUOTE-AH

Life does not present itself with enough opportunities to inject movie quotes into it, so, when the perfect moment actually does present itself, one should definitely seize the moment. 

Take today, for example.

New Englanders might suspect that it's early spring the way it keeps raining... and raining ... and raining.  In no mood to go to the store, I realize that I probably should if my son intends to eat this evening.  I sprint across the puddle-riddled parking lot, through the drenching, cold rain, then hem and haw far too long over what to cook for dinner. 

I don't want to use the self-check-out line because something goes wrong every time I use it, and I'm getting a great deal on chicken today.  No way am I taking any chances that the coupon won't compute.  I slide into line behind a charming elderly gentleman.  We chat for a few moments, then he motions to the front window through which we watch the rain pour down from the sky and flood down from the sidewalk overhang.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat," he laughs.  Indeed.

Earlier today I attend a somewhat contentious meeting, a continuation of yesterday's other somewhat contentious meeting.  I am trying really hard not to say anything out loud because everyone in the room knows that when I speak, I usually do so with pruning shears and a hack saw.  Occasionally, I use an axe, and every once in a while I go right for the bucket of acid, but today I am trying to show some restraint.

Namaste, I repeat silently over and over again.  Namaste, namaste, NAMASTE.

I listen to the other voices in the room, the other input, the other output.  Finally, I cannot stand it any longer, or perhaps my mouth and brain simply cannot remain disengaged for this long period of time.  Five times I try to speak, and each time someone else beats me to it. 

Finally, it's my turn.  By now, I'm a little ... agitated.

"At the risk," I say loudly, "of being a fatalist ... much like Slim Pickens riding the bomb at the end of Dr. Strangelove ..."  I glance around.  The science teacher starts swinging an imaginary lasso.  "What happens if this whole program should crash and burn?"

 Yup, this is my not-so-subtle way of telling the attendees that the proposal in front of us risks not merely crashing and burning; it risks crashing and burning on a huge scale, an epic way, an incendiary and nuclear way.

However, and I mean this in all honesty, if any team of people can pull off a miracle, it is this group, my people, my immediate co-workers.  There are times, though, that I feel like Major Kong when the airplane trap doors open and I'm yelling, "Wooooohooooooo!" the whole way to the crater.

For now, though, I'll steal a television quote and simply smile.  "Make it work," I tell myself quietly.  Just make it work.