Saturday, June 3, 2017

MANIACAL ENDING TO THE YEAR

Here we go again . . . the maniacal finish to another jam-packed school year.  Although there are still twelve-and-a-half more days, it's really more like eight with all the hoopla we have going on.  In true disorganized fashion, the students and I screech to the finish line like it's a NASCAR race.

It's my own fault.  As usual, I cram too many things into the year, and this is while cutting a lot of stuff out of the curriculum at the expense of new ideas handed down by state and federal mandates via people who've never been in a public school classroom except maybe to give a speech and piss all over the people working there.


I stay late at work Friday because the extra two hours I put in mean I can go home with just a heavy backpack and not a back-breaking backpack, the difference of about fifteen pounds.  As it is, my backpack is almost unmanageable even with two hours' less work in it.

One of my plans for the weekend: re-type part of or all of my test to turn it into a Scantron test.  Yes, I am going all fill-in-the-bubble-sheet.  Sure, I could re-type the whole thing and load it onto Google classroom as a cyber-exam, but, to be honest, the Scantron is faster, and the machine isn't backed up like the line at the copy machine to print pertinent results.

Once we have the final book exam under our belts, we still have several other assessments to pass through for the state and district, and, after those are finished, we have two projects to complete.  One night I'm so cranked up over planning everything and making it work that I can barely piece together three hours of sleep; the next night I'm so tired I sleep like the dead for seven hours straight.

It's all okay, though.  It's the usual end-of-school-year dash of the crazies.  We'll make it.  We might have a few scrapes and bruises, but we will not crash and burn.  At least, I don't think we will.  Come back and ask me in a few weeks when I've properly recovered from the race.