Saturday, February 1, 2014

WRITING AS ROADKILL



I have a rhythm and a work schedule for writing my thesis.  I also have a deadline.  What I need now is a way to stay awake for twenty-four hours a day over multiple weeks. 

Unlike the literature thesis people, who choose a topic and then may be totally and completely stuck with it until they want to toss their research into a pyre to liberate themselves, I've chosen a genre I work in daily, and by daily I mean … daily.  I write at least an hour a day, every day, and have kept this regimen up for almost two-and-a-half years.  If I burn myself out now, I'm roadkill on the steaming pavement of the literary superhighway. There will be nothing left of my capstone project except a chalk outline of my failed brain and a faint stench in the air. 

A thesis buddy has taken me under her wing, and we meet in a coffee shop weekly for both mass production and general morale purposes.  I also discover that, similar to topic burnout of the literary scholars, we composition scholars (May I even call myself that?  Good gawd, I sound so pretentious.) suffer from genre burnout.  I am finding myself more and more distracted by some fiction pieces I'm also writing, snippets that lend themselves to the scenic and historical locations where my thesis partner and I meet. 

Turns out I don't just need a buddy; I need a writing cop to handcuff me to my notebooks.

That's another thing.  I don't mind typing drafts on my desktop at home, but I despise typing on my work laptop. I prefer notebook paper, loose-leaf, wide-ruled, three-hole punched, and it has been thus for as far back as I can remember.  My Christmas list forever has been the same: notebook paper and some decent pens.  Period.  Cheap date.  Easy pickings.  A guy at work the other day randomly handed me some loose-leaf paper and some spiral notebooks, thinking he was dumping them on me, pulling a fast one.  Scared the crap out of him when I started jumping up and down and thanking him profusely.  Not many people get that excited about $3 worth of Staples cast-offs, so my reaction often makes others strangely uncomfortable. 

I drive an hour, perhaps a little less, to our weekly creative sessions.  I spend almost as much time traveling to these venues as I do being there and writing, but the travel time offers up some freerwriting time, which I undertake rather dangerously, blindly scribbling thoughts into a huge notebook as I tool down the road.  It is this simple act that makes me glad I am right-handed and not presently driving a stick shift.  Yes, the distance may seem long to some, but, and this is an important point, we are at the beach to do our writing.  We are on the coast.  Our view from the table stretches Newburyport Harbor and beyond.  This is inspiration.  This is Nirvana.  This is priceless.

When I attend these Saturday morning marathon writing sessions, I like to be armed with a multitude of supplies.  I pack my writing bag like I pack my luggage.  It's a constant battle of over-packing for what-ifs: What if it snows in Delaware in the middle of July (it doesn't - the temperature never falls below third-degree skin burns from the car upholstery); what if I need hiking boots while staying at the beach (I don't even wear shoes the whole time I'm there); what if I need a bathing suit and a snow suit while in Vermont over the summer (okay, this one isn't such a stupid question because it happens … often).  I pack notebooks and pens and pencils and writing magazines and writing manuals and rough drafts and final drafts and food.  I pack as if I am staying at that coffee shop for weeks.  I am, after all, an expert multitasker.  In the end, it doesn't matter because only have time to do one thing: I write.

My Saturdays will soon disappear, though.  One Saturday nearing I will be cat-sitting while my daughter and her husband move to another state.  Yes, dear daughter, I intend to take awkward pictures of Boogie the Kitty and post them on Facebook while you are hauling furniture around so you'll know how much fun she is having without you.  After that, the college lacrosse schedule looms with early Saturday games, some here, and some in and around the state of New York (division II doesn't know how to make local friends, apparently).  I need to carve out time for that, as well as stay the course for having the thesis done and supporting my thesis partner as she stays her course, too.

Philip Gerard, author of the book Creative Nonfiction: Researching and Crafting Stories of Real Life, claims there is always a magic moment.  An epiphany.  A moment when the light breaks over Marblehead.  I believe he is correct, and I will take this magic moment and as many more as my wide-ruled notebook paper will allow me.  Until then, I'll stick to Saturdays as diligently as I can, enjoy the ride, and understand that some things happen for reasons.  My thesis partner didn't just find me; I found her, too, and we've found others to bring into the fold. 

Drive an hour for this?  I'd drive the world if it means I can keep writing.