Monday, February 10, 2014

ANOTHER SOMEWHAT HIDEOUS POEM ABOUT SOMEWHAT HIDEOUS WINTER



Oh, Winter that is not ceasing!
It's not the snow. 
Really it isn't.
But I am damn tired of the cold.
Look, I have dry skin, anyway.
Now it's even drier.
Like sandpaper.
Like brittle old paper.
Then I go to work all day long.
For all the years I've been in cold rooms,
This one has heat enough for the entire wing.
I go to school dressed for Siberia,
Yet while I'm teaching, it's Aruba.
It's like being in the menopause room.
One second it's chilly (hallway),
The next it's boiling (where the desks are).
Then I bitch about it.
I bitch like that's going to change anything.
It's not.
It's not winter's fault.
It's not the snow's fault.
It's not the short hours of daylight.
It's not the thick slab of ice that undercoats
The walkway and the driveway that makes
Just getting to the car an everyday adventure.
It's the damn cold.
Tomorrow - zero degrees - truly?
Today everything is covered with what is
Supposed to be a dusting.
Liars.  Morons.
I'd chase you down and smack you all,
You silly weather forecasters,
Who say more snow is due on Thursday.
I don't care anymore about your snowcast.
Tell me! 
Tell me the truth!
When is it going to be warm again?
When will it stay above 24 degrees for
More than 24 hours for more than 2-4 days?
I am single-handedly keeping
Lotion companies in business,
All you've got for me is zero degrees?
There's a reason I don't live in Siberia.
Or maybe I do and just don't know it.
Damnation.