Tuesday, February 18, 2014

THE SNOWMAN MELT-ETH


Damn, the driving is pretty bad in some areas still.  I understand that it snowed and rained and was horrible on Thursday and that it snowed again on Saturday.  I also understand that we have Arctic winds blowing snow and garbage cans and small dogs all over the place.  But seriously.  Parts of my street, which is about 100 yards long, remain unplowed.  My friend's street in nearby Methuen, though "plowed," is only passable via bobsled or luge; don't even attempt to turn the wheel nor brake for children -- someone's gonna die on the packed-down snow and ice. 

My driveway and walkway have been doing that melt-freeze-melt-freeze routine for days.  When I go in search of salt to put down, I am told that store after store is out.  When I mention the state of our streets (horrible), I am told that many towns have run low or run out of sand and salt.

Run out?  No stores carry Icy Melt?  No towns have re-ordered sand and salt for the streets?   

Are you trying to kill me?

By noontime today we are due to be back into the thick of things snow-wise.  If the plows don't come by at some point, whatever is left of my shrinking street will be completely impassable for all but sleds.  If it doesn't involve massive overtime or double-time, it doesn't get cleared.  Without rock salt, my walkway and driveway will turn into more snow on top of ice on top of snow.

On a positive note, it does stay lighter longer (I don't close my blinds until 5:30) and I have heard some birds during the day, both signs that spring is coming.  We should only have to dig out about twelve more times this year.  Right?

Let the countdown begin!