Wednesday, February 26, 2014

SIBERIA -- YOU AIN'T SEEN NOTHING YET

In connection with yesterday's blog, I have had enough of this winter crap.  I don't mind the freezing Siberian wind chill.  I don't mind the constant snow.  However, I am sick to death of the two of them together, all week, every week, week in and week out.

So today I decide to wear a dress to work.  I wear nylons and low-heeled pumps and a light spring sweater.  My dress is a chevron pattern with brown and orange ... and yellow.  Yellow, like the sun that I never see between my now-windowless classroom and the snowy, dreary days.

Strangely enough, the guy in the room next to me, whose windows have also been boarded up, wears yellow today.  He wears a pale yellow button-down shirt with a yellow striped tie. 

The two of us look like ads for April. 

I don't care that it's 16 degrees out when I leave the house.  I don't care that I have to haul the garbage to the end of the driveway before putting stockings on so my bare legs are exposed to the wind chills.  I don't care that I have to leave the warmed-up car to go in to the post office and mail my nephew's gift this morning.  I don't care that the walk from my parking space to the front door of the school is like entering the tundra amidst swirling sand and salt and errant snow.

I'm wearing a spring dress and a spring sweater and a coat more appropriate for temperatures thirty degrees warmer than it is right now.  Mother Nature dared to mock me yesterday?  Lady, I am mocking you right back today.  I can shiver just as much in this get-up I'm wearing as I can with long pants, warm socks, and a ski parka. 

I've had enough of this winter crap.  Siberia?  You ain't seen nothing yet.