Wednesday, February 5, 2014

CHASING THE SCHOOL NURSE



The poor school nurse.  In the last few weeks she has had to search for infected treasure in my ear and provide me with Tylenol for migraines (more for the placebo effect).  Today she has to listen to my lungs.  She's more familiar with me than most of my dates.

It is recommended that I go see the doctor, so I leave work early and head directly to the grocery store.  That's right.  The grocery store.

Wait.  I can explain.  You see, my team is hosting the luncheon at school on Friday, and I need a list of stuff for it.  I also need soup badly.  Chicken noodle.  Tomato.  Maybe even some croissants.  Vegetables.  Dip.  Bread.  Sandwich meat.  Tissues.  Toothpaste.  Meat to make pulled pork.  Milk.  And the fixings for Friday's soiree.  Much as I would love to put off the shopping, I cannot.  I am too low on supplies, and we are due for a major snowstorm.  That means if I go to the doctor first, I'll be vying for food with all the Crazies later.  The first logical stop is Market Basket.

Toward the end of my shopping, the aisles are starting to clog with desperate pre-storm troopers.  I pick a short line but discover a useless bagger.  Poor girl.  It's obvious she's not all "there" (or even "here").  She spends most of the time staring blankly into space while the elderly cashier rings and bags my order.  I now understand why this line is so short -- the people here before me either abandon it from sheer frustration, or they die of old age and their bodies are relocated to cold storage behind the deli counter.

Eventually I make it home with barely time to spare.  I unload groceries and put away refrigerator items.  Then I run to the beautiful and exciting (not) city of Lawrence to meet yet another medical expert who luckily has an afternoon opening.  Uncertain if my lungs really are clear, she emails in a prescription to help quell the dry, wracking fits of cough-gagging I have going on and another prescription for an inhaler.  I am sent off to the new building next door for an x-ray.

I am both surprised and relieved when the film comes back clear.  Yay!  No antibiotics … this time.  But I am still stuck with the inhaler and the pills, and a strict admonition to call my primary care physician the very second I feel worse.

Except Wednesday.  I cannot be calling them Wednesday because they're closed.  For the storm.  The snow storm.  The storm that sends me to the grocery store before doing something that is without exception more dire and urgent than soup, paper plates, and dish soap, the dire need for medical attention. 

Right now, though, I am tired, truly and deeply so.  I'd love to stay up to hear the weather report.  I'd love to sleep for longer than ninety minutes at a clip because of the coughing.  I'd love to stay out cold later than 4:00 a.m. because that's the time I happen to have lung spasms that rival a cat trying to hack up a dried furball.  I'd love to do all these things, but, to be perfectly honest, I think the meds might actually be working. 

When I see the school nurse, which I most assuredly will, I'm going to thank her profusely for looking out for me.  I'll tell her what the doc told me, and I'll let her know how much I appreciate her, and I'll promise not to bother her ever again. 

Until next time … which, with my luck, will be next week … if I can just slip into her office before she has a chance to lock her door.