Sunday, February 9, 2014

SPENDING TIME WITH MY KIDS SPILLS OVER FROM THE END OF THE WEEK TO THE WEEKEND



Yay!  It's Spend Time With My Kids Weekend!  Actually, It's Spend Time With My Kids End of the Week and Spilling Into the Weekend.  Yay!

Thursday evening my eldest, Financial Guy, comes by for dinner and the Bruins game.  We also play along with Jeopardy on TV because the hockey game doesn't start until 8:00 p.m.  We drink frozen strawberry margaritas.  Ole!

Friday evening my daughter, the middle child and RN, comes by.  We eat dinner together and go through her stuff in the basement in anticipation of next weekend when she and hubby move to New Hampshire.  Very exciting!

Saturday I drive from a Newburyport thesis session to Hooksett, NH, entirely on the back roads without touching route 101 once.  I take youngest child, College Boy, to pick up some much needed supplies (shaving cream, deodorant, and sunscreen since the lacrosse season starts next Saturday) and out to eat at the local Sal's Pizza.  

I love my children, I truly do, but there are many parents who totally understand what I am about to say: I love them even more when they're away from me.  Not far away.  Close enough to visit frequently but far enough away to get a decent night's sleep without listening up for them to come home.

My youngest still lives here part time: summer and Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks.  His lacrosse schedule prevents him from coming home and/or getting into trouble during spring break.  Part time is good.  He fails to understand, though, how I can sleep soundly while he's at school, but when he's here I have the weird need to make sure he gets home at night and is still breathing in the morning.  I try to explain that it's a Mom Thing -- when he is under my roof, I'm still responsible.

I guess that means since I'm usually without kids here at home, I've become irresponsible, and I suppose that's true.  I sometimes stay up late, watch too much HGTV, and often eat nachos for dinner.  (Hey, they have grains and dairy and veggies, right?)  For some odd reason I also eat a lot of sweet potatoes, which sounds healthy and creepy all at the same time.  When I run out of Cheez-Its, toilet paper, milk, and patience, I've only myself to blame.

It has been a wonderful three days.  Really.  I'm not even being sarcastic.  But, truth be told, I have a huge pile of homework and a lot of correcting to do.  Since I indulged my mom mode for three days, it's time to get back into teacher/grad student mode.  I have pulled pork cooking in the crock pot for Sunday dinner.  Don't tell my children, though.  I don't want them to get any ideas!