Saturday, February 8, 2014

TOP THRILL DRAGSTER HOUSE



My daughter and her husband are moving next weekend.  As a gift to them, I am sending the last of her crap with them to their new house. 

Turns out she has more stuff here than I thought but much less than I panicked about: a few boxes, a couple of bins, three mysteriously tied trash bags, a drink dispenser, some paintings, and a garbage pail with miscellaneous junk in it.  There is also a table set with four large chairs.  All of it must go by next weekend.

In addition to these treasures, there is one other box, a box full of file folders and notebooks, that I want her to remove from my basement.  It has been there for a long time, probably as long as we've been in this home, and somehow it keeps getting ignored. 

Until tonight.

After having some soup, we attack the basement, bringing things upstairs and packing them into the corner of the den, ready and waiting for the big move next Saturday.  We decide the table and chairs will have to stay where they are for now because the den is too small to accommodate that much stuff.  Believing that we are done, my daughter is quite evasive when I point to the paper-filled box of her childhood.  Reluctantly the box comes upstairs with us.

Paper after paper after paper is a step into the past.  There are the notes never-passed to old friends and notes never-passed to ex-friends; old essays with teacher commentary, sketch journals, a middle school yearbook with snarky asides written in, class notebooks, calendars, photographs, and a list of things to do before she dies (written when she was in her mid-teens).

The list is by far the best thing found in the box. 

Some of the items she already crossed off in high school because she either did them or decided that the people involved weren't worth her time and energy.  Some of her aspirations are poignant, like never losing touch with her childhood friend Rachel (Rachel came to my daughter's wedding last fall).  Some are a little scary and harsh, like wanting to punch a boy (any boy, no one in particular) in the face.  She wanted to visit the set of the television series ER, but since it has been cancelled, she is a real nurse, an RN who gets to experience the real medical field every day.

Some of the stuff is a little wackier.  For example, she once aspired to own a hairless cat, or, if unavailable, a hairy cat that has been shaved to look like a hairless cat.  She also thought it would be truly wonderful to run over a squirrel or chipmunk because her friend Jayme didn't like them, which totally explains the fur caught in the tire treads of my late mini-van.

My daughter may be full of a sense of adventure, but she also has common sense.  Some of the stuff on her teenage-self list make her present-self roll her eyes.  "Go cliff diving?  When the hell did I ever want to go cliff diving?  Uhhhh, no."  And it may not be cliff diving, but there is one massive adventure challenge on her list:  Go on the Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster at Cedar Point, Ohio, without crapping her pants.

I honestly don't know why she would crap her pants.  When it comes to amusement parks, my kids will ride anything, the higher and the faster the better.  Corkscrew coasters?  No problem.  Rickety old wooden coasters?  Easy pickings. 

My kids all inherited the daredevil gene.  I don't have it, at least not for amusement parks, but I'm willing to take real-life risks and jump of proverbial cliffs, and I am hopeful that my daughter at least takes that with her on her journey into home-owning.  Not only am I sending her crap with her, I'm sending her on her own personal Top Thrill Dragster of a life moment.

I wish the new home  to be everything she has dreamed of, and that it's as thrilling a ride as she's hoping.  And just an FYI -- there are two bathrooms in her new house, so she doesn't have to be worried about crapping her pants with excitement.