Sunday, February 23, 2014

SATURDAY HAIKU FOR THE FUN OF IT

Saturday is to winter what chocolate is to menopausal women -- the logical answer to the question "How was the weather yesterday?"

After days ... weeks, even ... the sun comes out, stays out, and creates a wonderful day right smack in the midst of winter.

I know I've done the Haiku thing before, but here it is -- Haiku for my Saturday.

Try to leave early,
The car is covered in ice
It needs to warm up.

There is much black ice
The driveway is dangerous --
Almost fall on ass.

Lacrosse starts today:
"Hey, Mom, bring my goalie gloves --
Let's give them away!"

In the car, heat cranks
Warm on feet - Windows open
To let some air in.

Baked tons of cookies--
Toll House and peanut butter
Cookies for the team.

Sun is out, no wind:
The greatest lacrosse weather
To stand on the field.

After the scrimmage
We feed the kids like gluttons
And gorge them with sweets.

When it's all over
We've had a day in the sun:
Great lacrosse and friends!

Like an idiot
Get a sunburn on my face--
Rest of me still pale.

Thank you for warm days
Otherwise winter would drive
Me to kill myself.