Monday, February 18, 2013

TO THE ARCTIC ... AND BEYOND



Thank goodness it's a federal holiday.  It snowed here yesterday, and although it wasn't very much snow, the wind blew it all over the place.  There are a few errant drifts as high as two feet immediately surrounded by bare brick walkway.  Any clean-up done Sunday resulted in simultaneous drifting exactly where the shoveling had just been completed.

Because it is a federal holiday, I do not have mail delivery today.  I do not have to get the trash or recycling to the curb by this evening.  I do not have to get up and slog through snow drifts to get to my car because I'm on break this week so public schools are closed.  

In other words, I've no reason to get myself outside to clean up yesterday's windy, snowy mess until it warms up a little bit more around here.

Oh sure, it's supposed to be blustery and chilly today, too.  But I'm thinking perhaps with the gusts from yesterday and last night, all of the excess from roofs has blown down.  I'm hopeful more snow has blown off the two vehicles I need to clear.  And I'm really wishing for sunshine to give me the illusion of warmth while I work.

Spring may officially be six weeks away, but the threat of snowy Nor'easters remains a constant back-thought until the third week of April, at the earliest.  I love New England, and I do love the snow.  Shoveling the same spot twice for a single storm?  Yeah, I don't love that so much. 

Go ahead, winds, give me the best you've got.  But when you see me step outside with shovel in hand, you'd best be getting on back to the Arctic where you belong.