Wednesday, February 6, 2013

JUICE BOXES FOR ADULTS






The other day a friend of mine posted on his Facebook page the following sage advice:  Never underestimate tequila. 

I was, at the time I saw this, sucking down a Margarita as if I were a marathoner hitting the Powerade.  Even the straw couldn't keep up with me.  (Hey, it had been a rough few days at work; don't judge me.)  As a matter of fact, I didn't even bother to mix the Margarita up in the blender.  It was one of those pre-made ones they sell at the packie.  You know the ones -- Juice Boxes for Adults.

Lest you think I'm a fledgling alcoholic, let me assure you that I am not.  I can make a six-pack last weeks, a bottle of wine hang around so long it turns back into grapes, and I've had the same couple of bottles of hard liquor in my cabinet so long that the distilleries went out of business decades ago. 

But these pre-made mixed drinks in pouches, these are like gifts of the gods.  You remember how you or your kids (hey, some of us are older than others) would swarm to the fridge to grab Capri Suns or Sunny D?  Embrace that same feeling after having a shitty day at work on Friday, a shitty weekend dealing with the shitty day at work on Friday, followed up by a super-shitty Monday still slogging through the shitty aftermath spilling over from the shitty Friday at work.  Embrace the love and refreshing company of a pre-mixed, pre-frozen Margarita that only asks two things:  a moment to defrost just a teeny bit and a straw.

That Margarita changed my attitude; it changed my day; it changed my whole outlook.  And it made me drowsy, but that's not Jose Cuervo's fault; I hadn't slept all that well since Shitty Friday, so I was one shot and some ice shavings away from a face-plant to the wall, anyway.  Never underestimate tequila.

I have another friend (yes, I actually have two -- don't look so surprised) who mixes the best damn Margaritas I have ever tasted.  Of course it could be that we're usually drinking them while standing waist-deep in her warm, salt-water pool, and it's summer, and I'm not having a shitty day at work, and our two other friends are there with us.  (Okay, so I have four friends -- you can look surprised now).  Her home-blended margaritas are so smooth that we are not even bothered by the bizarre statues at the Grecian monstrosity that passes for a house that faces her backyard.  Even the lit-up green lion's head doesn't bother us; we have Jose, and he will protect us, because one should never underestimate tequila.

PeeWee Herman understands this.  If it weren't for Tequila, he never would've made it out of that biker bar alive.  Tequila is for dancing!  (And for really ugly white vinyl platform shoes.)

So, for my friend who posted this, for my friend who mixes the best Margaritas this side of Mexico, for Shitty Friday, for PeeWee Herman, and for Juices Boxes for Adults, remember:  Never underestimate tequila.  Ole!