Saturday, February 16, 2013

AND SO IT BEGINS



And so it begins. 

Sure it's freezing cold outside.  Of course snow is in the forecast.  Naturally the sports stores are out of foot warmers.  This is par for the course.

The camera memory cards are cleared.  I find the password to the photo site that isn't as user-friendly as my regular photo site but is the one necessary to upload the finished batch of pictures.  I remember to stock up on batteries, packing the ones I bought two weeks ago in anticipation.  Once the season starts, AA batteries are on my weekly shopping list.  It's $5 well spent.

The double-batch of stew is warming.  The crock pot has been dusted and set aside for the trip.  Beach towels will serve as insulators to keep the pre-heated crock pot from melting the floor mats and also to buffer the container from sliding around behind me as I drive.  I cannot worry about the contents possibly spilling, and it must arrive warm so the stew will be properly piping hot two hours after the starting whistle.  There is a method to my madness.

I run through the names of players and parents, ticking off the ones I remember and throwing the rest into a jumbled pile of brain mush.  I have to memorize more than one hundred names every September when the school year starts again.  Recall names of people I only see for a few weeks every sport season?  Faces and personalities and camaraderie -- Yes.  Names -- Not so much. 

I realize I forgot to buy beer for the tailgate.  It's okay; it'll probably be a hot chocolate, coffee, and tea tailgate, anyway.  The last time I tried to bring the beer, I found myself accompanying a player (mine) to the hospital to get stitches and ended up taking the nearly-full cooler with me.  Perhaps it's my bad luck charm, and maybe I'll be better off without it.

It's February.  It's the height of winter here in New England.  Today college lacrosse season starts.  I have my winter gear on, I have my camera loaded and ready to shoot, and I have the stew warming.  I am ready.  I am psyched.

And so it begins.