Sunday, February 10, 2013

RESTLESS SILENCE



Sometimes silence is disturbingly like living in a vacuum.

I live next to the train tracks and within whistling distance of the station.  I can't sleep soundly unless I hear the rhythms of the trains going through, first the 12:04 a.m. train, which for some odd reason lulls me from a light into a deep slumber, and then the freight trains that rumble through off and on until the first commuter rail starts up again mid-morning.

I live between two busy streets, and I like the noise of the cars, trucks, and buses that go by all day and all night.  Even though the traffic slows down considerably after the last few commuter trains make their stops, there is always someone driving by to work, home, the store, a friend's house.  Always the sound of life's constant motion.

I live a few miles from the local airport and directly in the path of both the hospital and traffic helicopters.  There is always someone in the sky going somewhere, filming the I-93/495 interchange, being airlifted to Boston, or doing touch-and-go's.  In the spring when the windows are open, the buzzing of the engines matches the buzzing of the insects that have come out to remind us that longer, lazier days are coming.

When 9/11 happened, all rail service and air traffic was halted.  The silence was, to use a cliché, deafening.  It was as if sound had been sucked out of the atmosphere, out of my ears.  Road vehicles still passed, reminding me that life, as altered as it had become, still went on.  During the blizzard of '78, my family lived with route 495 in our backyard.  When the snarled traffic halted and people abandoned their cars and trucks, the lack of noise was replaced by the howling winds and crackling flames of the fireplace.  The usual noises to which I had grown accustomed were at least replaced with busy white noise.

This storm, this Blizzard of 2013, though, has been silent.  Silent.  I hear no winds during the night, though I know they are there.  For some reason, perhaps because the winds kick in from the opposite direction, I hear no howling, the mailbox cover does not bang off its hinges, and no branches scratch together outside the windows.  There is no thunder snow.  There are no plows, even though I live directly across from one of the town's main traffic department launch sites.  I hear no snow blowers as the storm continues to dump its best, intermittingly and in varying snow bands.  The silence is so unnerving that I turn on fans, televisions, anything to remind me that life is out there.

I am living in a silent white vacuum.  As beautiful as it is, it is unnerving.  It is the only part of the blizzard that I cannot tolerate.