Monday, February 4, 2013

MACY'S FOR MORONS



I am shopping at Macy's at the Fox Run Mall.  Window shopping, actually.  I want to start getting ideas for styles, colors, and sizes for dresses I need in the fall.  My eldest child is getting married in September, and my middle child is getting married in October.  Before I visit any salons or specialty shops, I want a better picture of what it is I am looking for.  I figure this is post-holiday but pre-prom time, so there must be some racks of formal dresses somewhere.  Certainly in Macy's, whose flagship store is in Manhattan, sponsor of the annual Thanksgiving Day parade and NYC fireworks, carrier of multiple upscale clothing lines; that Macy's.

I enter Macy's, dragging my ever-vigilant daughter with me because she's an incredibly good sport and just plain fun to have around.  We proceed to walk the interior diamond alley that circumvents the store.  We pass the cosmetics counter, men's department, children's department, home department, misses department (plus sizes), and stop to oooh and aaah in the junior department.

Before we realize it, we are right back where we started.  There are probably fifty workers milling around, all sales associates with absolutely nothing to do.  We are essentially the only people in the store, which I take as a bad sign for a mall on a Saturday.  Finally one woman stops gabbing with her fellow clerks to ask if she can help us, sell us something, spray something on us, or interest us in full-body makeovers.

"Where are the regular misses clothes?  You know, sizes six through fourteen?"  Seriously, at this point it has been so long since I shopped, I've no flaming idea what size I am anymore by the new American standards.  Some shops make me feel great because I can easily wear a smaller size.  Some stores sell dresses made for transvestites with completely boobless tops, and I have to wear a plus size just to get over my chest (which honestly is pretty sensibly endowed; I'm no Dolly Parton).

"Oh, you have to go to the other building for that."

The other building?

She offers no other assistance, turns her back to us, and stalks away.  What the hell does she mean the other building?  We're in a frikkin' mall.  This is the building.

I see a sign for restrooms and decide now would be a good time for a PBE since it's a long ride home.  For those who are not in the know (ie: not yet reached middle age after bearing several children), PBE means Preventive Bladder Emptying.  Theoretically, if I pee now, I won't have to search in vain for a bathroom when we're ready to leave in twenty minutes.  Of course, for those who are not in the know (ie: not yet reached middle age after bearing several children), twenty minutes later might warrant another PBE.

There is a sign on the bathroom door:  "Wheelchair restroom out of order."  That's fine; I don't have my wheelchair today.  I enter the porcelain water closet and discover that not only is the wheelchair toilet broken, but so are two of the three remaining stalls.  Apparently, finding the misses clothing isn't the only thing that's going to require the other building.

After making our way through the mall, which is the least linear design I have ever seen (Fox Run is the labyrinth of the mall world), we spot the other building, which turns out to be just another store space further into the bowels of the same building we are in and have been in since we walked through the entrance by Buffalo Wild Wings.  We do a repeat circumnavigation, passing by clothes that we dub "Grandma clothing," and finally find a tiny square of what passes for formal dresses.

The "formal dress section" consists of several roll-away racks, the kind one would put into a cellar to roll wet clothes around or hang soggy winter jackets on to dry.  All kinds of ugly, leftover, reject dresses are stuffed in to this site, crumpled and cast aside like sad girls at a school dance. 

To be honest, which, as some of you know, I will occasionally claim to be, there is a section of semi-formal dresses along with a wall of fur stoles (which are apparently following me this week for some odd reason), but there's nothing there that's extraordinary or eye-catching, nothing worthy of the time we've already spent locating them in the first place.

I think I need to expand my search before I can truly limit it to styles, colors, and sizes.  I need to find bigger stores with more selection.  I need to try the Mall at Rockingham Park, the Burlington Mall, stores in Boston, outlet stores.  I want to be the self-sufficient shopper before I go somewhere that I really must answer the question, "So what are you looking for today?"  At this point, I can only give a deer-in-the-headlights stare and whimper, "I don't know.  I just don't know!"

I should've left the mall when I got the first advice:  The other building.  Good gravy, the sales associate was right.  One final PBE and we're on our way.