Sunday, February 17, 2013

FEBRUARY HEADACHES



February break.  Phew.  Finally. 

I seriously think schools get February break for two reasons.  One reason is to keep ski resorts and airlines in business.  The other is to clear out some of the germs.

The kids are sick, the teachers are sick, everybody is sick.  I have had a throbbing headache for six days now.  It's a real blow to my ego when people tell me how horrible I look, that my eyes look heavy, and ask such things as, "What is wrong with you?"

I don't know what's wrong with me.  Sinuses.  Menopause.  Old age.  Plague.  Maybe it's from the carbon monoxide I suck in every day, all day long, at work from the massive construction vehicles right outside my classroom.  The workmen are so close that I can open my windows and grab them by the throat if I so choose.  I figure that might startle them and probably get me fired, though.  One of the workers looks just like Santa Claus, and I certainly don't want to get on Jolly Old St. Nick's Shit List, that's for sure.

I have tried a lot of different things for this headache:  ibuprofen, acetaminophen, caffeine, chocolate, and pomegranate margaritas.  I have tried getting extra sleep, drinking more water, and keeping the students a little quieter.  Nothing seems to be working.

The worst thing about these headaches is the vertigo.  I cannot stand too quickly nor turn my head too suddenly.  Wearing my glasses makes me dizzy; not wearing my glasses makes me dizzy.  Being too warm gives me the spins; being too cold gives me the spins.  A couple of times at work I have walked into things (taken a corner too short or simply lost my balance and faltered slightly) because my equilibrium is slightly off.  I am in a constant state of feeling like I just stepped off the Tilt-A-Whirl at an amusement park.

People tell me this is going around.  They also tell me I should be thankful it's not the Noro-virus.  I am hoping I'm immune to that as I've had a couple of strains of it already.  The last bout of the Noro-virus was enough to peel paint off the walls.  It ripped through my house like a tornado, devastating anyone who caught it.  The Noro-virus is the worst smelling flu of all time, and I cannot even imagine being on a cruise ship when this hits, as it has hit several cruise lines in the past few years. 

Anyway, I finally hit the aspirin for my headache.  I figure, "What the hey.  Thins blood, right?  Maybe I need to thin some of the blood vessels that are throbbing in my brain."   This could be the placebo effect, but I am actually feeling now like I just have a regular, old-fashioned, run of the mill headache and that I have not suffered a brain bleed in my frontal lobe.  Thank goodness for good old aspirin!

So many things I want and need to do during my February break.  Now, though, at the top of my list is only one thing:  Get rid of this headache.  When and if that happens, I really will be saying, "Phew.  Finally."