Sunday, April 1, 2018

APRIL FOOL'S MUSIC

April Fool's Day has never been an important holiday to me.  I mean, I like to prank people from time to time, but an entire day dedicated to lying and joking around?  It's exhausting.  Sometimes, though, April Fool's comes early and stays late.

The other night I leave my car parked on the street.  My youngest has a late lacrosse game many towns away, and I hope to be deeply sleeping by the time he arrives home.  The only problem is that he will be deeply sleeping in the morning when I need to get my car out of the driveway, so I will let him pull my car in after he arrives home.

I sort of hear him mosey in around midnight, fall back into a sleep-induced coma, and ignore the state of my car until I peek out of the front window to start it in the morning with the remote.  I make my iced coffee and brush my teeth before leaving the house.  As I lock the front door, I hear loud music outside.

Really?  Truly?  Someone is blasting music so loudly at 6:30 a.m. that nearby houses, including my landlord's, must be bothered.  Who the hell would be having a party so damn early?

As I walk down the driveway, I realize that the racket is coming from MY CAR.

My son, that little shit, has pranked me by setting my car radio to a Sirius Latino party station and turned the sound up VERY loudly.  My car is quite literally rocking.  I unlock the door and turn the music down ... but not off.  I like Latino music, and I decide to pre-set one of my other stations to this one.  I listen to it all the way to work.

Thank goodness I remotely started my car, though.  If I'd been sitting in the quiet car and started it myself, the music probably would've made me shit my pants.  The joke is funny and really effective, but my son doesn't really think this one through.  I mean, payback for pranks like this can be brutal.  Half the fun is the psychological warfare of my victim's nervous anticipation.

April Fool's Day -- not super important, but a holiday with an extension.  If he can prank me days before, I can prank him days after.  Right?  (Insert evil laughter here.)