Sunday, April 29, 2018

I CAN WAIT

 Finally, the leaves are starting to open.  It's about time.  I just got back from Washington, DC, where I miss most of the cherry blossoms.  It's okay -- the blossoms that are leftover combine with more blossoms to show that there is hope after the Ice Age.

It's comforting to know that when native New Englanders feel like the only two colors in our lives are white (snow) and brown (dirt), we are only an hour or two away (by plane) from a completely different way of life: leaves on trees, flowers blooming, green lawns already needing to be cut.

For a crowded city, it smells wonderful here.  It looks wonderful here. 

Back home, though, we are about two weeks behind the Mid-Atlantic.  For us, Spring usually happens suddenly.  One day it's snowing, and then we have a couple of days in the eighties and ... boom ... it's like everything pops overnight.  Considering the temperatures will be rising this week, Spring should be in full bloom by Saturday.

In the mean time, I'll enjoy my memories of DC -- all those big white and cream-colored buildings encased in yellow and pink flowers and green leaves, and all the blossoms pushing their way out of the earth, and all of the freshly-planted flowers dancing in the breeze, and all of the people out mowing lawns.

It won't be much longer; leaves are unfurling already.  I can wait ... I can wait ... I think maybe I'll make it.