Thursday, April 5, 2018

THAT MINUTE OF SPRING WE HAD

It's no secret that I don't care to be inside a house when it's thundering outside.  This morning while sitting at my computer at 5:35, a giant crash of thunder happens.  What. The Hell.  It's forty frigging degrees outside.  What are you doing, Mother Nature?  You're drunk again.

I run around my small room.  Where did I put the headset?  Where are the earphones?  Where are the earbuds?  When was the last time I charged up the MP3 player?  It seems like it takes forever to find the headset and get the music playing.  I'd rather listen to random songs than the sound of the world ending, but everything is tangled.  After a minute or two of machinations, I am finally plugged in, unwound, and safely sheltered from any more big booms.

I look at the clock.  While the world pops outside, I am inside putting on my eye make-up and making my eyes pop.  I run upstairs and grab clothes.  I have to plan a little bit since it's now pouring rain outside, very cold, yet supposed to be warm later.  My hair is flat as a deflated tire, but there is no way I'm wetting it down and re-drying it with an electric dryer with the lightning happening.

Finally, I am ready to leave the house.  It's still raining, but the thunderstorm has moved along, thankfully.  When I arrive at work, it's drizzling a bit.  I listen to a song on the car radio then walk across the lot to the back entry.  As soon as I close the door of the school behind me, the skies open up and it rains so hard that the droplets are smashing the ground and bouncing back up into the air about a foot high.

I stay late at work for meetings, so by the time I leave work, it is already chilly again (I missed the warm weather) and still raining.  By the time I get home, though, the sun is trying to come out for a last gasp, and the rain stops.  Maybe Mother Nature has sobered up after her morning debacle of thunderstorms and forty-degree weather.  Then again, maybe not.  Overnight the winds are supposed to gust up to fifty miles per hour. Oh. well.  That minute of Spring we had sure was nice.