Saturday, October 28, 2017

WHATEVER WE WANT. GOSH.

Long week.  Looooooooooong week. 

In my brain I understand that it is, technically speaking, no longer nor shorter than most weeks, but my body feels like it has been wrung out, wound up, and spit out.  After being at work, an observation at work, a long meeting at work, and an afternoon of arduous errands that includes standing around waiting an hour for someone to show up, I want my first free weekend in over a month to be full of a whole ton of nothing.

On the way to pick up dinner (yes, another round of take-out), one of the radio's satellite stations is alternating between old school music like the Drifters and more modern and progressive selections of anything heavy metal.  Really heavy.  Heavy on the heavy. It's rather entertaining, this old school/new school approach.  Sometimes the station plays the old version of a song plus its updated version right afterward, such as "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone" first by the Monkees and then by the Sex Pistols.

Driving down the road toward the sub shop that is halfway to the next town, my youngest and I are having a conversation about our day.  He is taking a much-needed evening off to stay in and relax.  I am spouting off about the crammed week I've had between work and errands.  Suddenly, a song comes on I've never heard before, but it fits my present mood perfectly: Demolitian 23's "Same Shit, Different Day."

After we pick up dinner and head back toward the house, we are both in better moods.  Finally, the day is starting its denouement.  As we turn off the main road to the side road that cuts over toward our house, the radio is blasting White Stripes "We Are Going to Be Friends," otherwise known as the theme song to the movie Napoleon Dynamite

Of course.  After all, what are we going to do with our Friday evening off (finally)?  Whatever we want. Gosh.